May 2011 management briefing: Apparel software trends in the year ahead
In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at apparel supply challenges in 2011, how software can help tackle some of these issues, and where firms should be focusing their investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future.
Using the right software is key to helping the apparel industry tackle some of the issues it faces in 2011. Firms need the right analyses and information to take the right decisions at the right time and remain competitive in a changing environment, from product development through to the shop floor.
After weathering the storm of recession, today's apparel companies now face a significantly more challenging and competitive market. Technologies they would be wise to watch in the year ahead include lead time optimisation, business intelligence, cloud computing and 3D tools.
Where should apparel firms be focusing their software investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future? According to industry experts consulted by just-style, technology agendas should include strong core business systems, better use of business analytics, and integrated PLM, sourcing and supply chain capabilities.
Among the biggest challenges facing global apparel supply in the year ahead are rising raw material costs, the changing business climate in China, upward pressure on retail prices, fragile consumer demand, and the need to have the right inventory at the right place at the right time, according to industry experts consulted by just-style.
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- US firms eye Vietnam footwear growth ahead of TPP
- J Crew embarks on new expansion phase