May 2011 management briefing: Apparel software trends in the year ahead
In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at apparel supply challenges in 2011, how software can help tackle some of these issues, and where firms should be focusing their investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future.
Using the right software is key to helping the apparel industry tackle some of the issues it faces in 2011. Firms need the right analyses and information to take the right decisions at the right time and remain competitive in a changing environment, from product development through to the shop floor.
After weathering the storm of recession, today's apparel companies now face a significantly more challenging and competitive market. Technologies they would be wise to watch in the year ahead include lead time optimisation, business intelligence, cloud computing and 3D tools.
Where should apparel firms be focusing their software investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future? According to industry experts consulted by just-style, technology agendas should include strong core business systems, better use of business analytics, and integrated PLM, sourcing and supply chain capabilities.
Among the biggest challenges facing global apparel supply in the year ahead are rising raw material costs, the changing business climate in China, upward pressure on retail prices, fragile consumer demand, and the need to have the right inventory at the right place at the right time, according to industry experts consulted by just-style.
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis