November 2010 management briefing: Tapping into RFID tagging
RFID’s growth could be poised to accelerate dramatically, in a move that would take apparel retailing to a whole new level. Networked clothing that ‘talks’ to mirrors and shelves, increased accuracy in inventory and stock management, and protection against theft and counterfeits are a few of the benefits discussed in just-style’s November management briefing. But privacy concerns are also likely escalate as the tags become popular.
Networked clothing that can show you where it is at all times, talking to mirrors and shelves on the shop floor, is no longer the stuff of science fiction, but a reality developing rapidly in stores around the globe. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tagging is taking apparel retailing to a whole new level, with an uptake that shows no signs of slowing.
Forecasts of European RFID, tag and reader use; growth in the value of global RFID in the apparel market; and a comparison of total worldwide RFID turnover predictions all help set the scene for likely changes in RFID uptake over the next decade.
Privacy is the big bugbear for RFID tags. Sure they give retailers and manufacturers lots of excellent information, but there is a hint of Big Brother about how this automatic data collection. That's not good marketing.
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide