November 2010 management briefing: Tapping into RFID tagging
RFID’s growth could be poised to accelerate dramatically, in a move that would take apparel retailing to a whole new level. Networked clothing that ‘talks’ to mirrors and shelves, increased accuracy in inventory and stock management, and protection against theft and counterfeits are a few of the benefits discussed in just-style’s November management briefing. But privacy concerns are also likely escalate as the tags become popular.
Networked clothing that can show you where it is at all times, talking to mirrors and shelves on the shop floor, is no longer the stuff of science fiction, but a reality developing rapidly in stores around the globe. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tagging is taking apparel retailing to a whole new level, with an uptake that shows no signs of slowing.
Forecasts of European RFID, tag and reader use; growth in the value of global RFID in the apparel market; and a comparison of total worldwide RFID turnover predictions all help set the scene for likely changes in RFID uptake over the next decade.
Privacy is the big bugbear for RFID tags. Sure they give retailers and manufacturers lots of excellent information, but there is a hint of Big Brother about how this automatic data collection. That's not good marketing.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details