November 2010 management briefing: Tapping into RFID tagging
RFID’s growth could be poised to accelerate dramatically, in a move that would take apparel retailing to a whole new level. Networked clothing that ‘talks’ to mirrors and shelves, increased accuracy in inventory and stock management, and protection against theft and counterfeits are a few of the benefits discussed in just-style’s November management briefing. But privacy concerns are also likely escalate as the tags become popular.
Networked clothing that can show you where it is at all times, talking to mirrors and shelves on the shop floor, is no longer the stuff of science fiction, but a reality developing rapidly in stores around the globe. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tagging is taking apparel retailing to a whole new level, with an uptake that shows no signs of slowing.
Forecasts of European RFID, tag and reader use; growth in the value of global RFID in the apparel market; and a comparison of total worldwide RFID turnover predictions all help set the scene for likely changes in RFID uptake over the next decade.
Privacy is the big bugbear for RFID tags. Sure they give retailers and manufacturers lots of excellent information, but there is a hint of Big Brother about how this automatic data collection. That's not good marketing.
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020