October 2011 management briefing: ERP-PLM on the apparel radar
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm. But a much older and less popular cousin - Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) - is now back on the radar as clothiers realise that linking it with PLM yields bigger benefits than using either technology alone. This month's management briefing from just-style looks at the rise of integrated ERP-PLM solutions, implementation issues, and its growth in emerging markets.
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm, becoming a must-have software tool for many clothing companies seeking economies of scale in the increasingly competitive fashion market.
Just as fashion styles and trends have gone global, so have the IT vendors that cater to these companies - and those that sell ERP and PLM applications are no exception.
As ERP and PLM integrated suites become an increasingly important tool for apparel companies looking to edge out the competition, software suppliers are also constantly adding new features and capabilities to their products as they strive to rein in the market.
While many software vendors love to boast about the benefits of their products, few admit that they are rarely glitch-free and that implementing them into an organisation can take time and patience.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- 'Cotton of the Carolinas' grows reshoring efforts
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- China and India sign MoU to explore textile ties
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report