October 2011 management briefing: ERP-PLM on the apparel radar
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm. But a much older and less popular cousin - Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) - is now back on the radar as clothiers realise that linking it with PLM yields bigger benefits than using either technology alone. This month's management briefing from just-style looks at the rise of integrated ERP-PLM solutions, implementation issues, and its growth in emerging markets.
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm, becoming a must-have software tool for many clothing companies seeking economies of scale in the increasingly competitive fashion market.
Just as fashion styles and trends have gone global, so have the IT vendors that cater to these companies - and those that sell ERP and PLM applications are no exception.
As ERP and PLM integrated suites become an increasingly important tool for apparel companies looking to edge out the competition, software suppliers are also constantly adding new features and capabilities to their products as they strive to rein in the market.
While many software vendors love to boast about the benefits of their products, few admit that they are rarely glitch-free and that implementing them into an organisation can take time and patience.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016