October 2011 management briefing: ERP-PLM on the apparel radar
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm. But a much older and less popular cousin - Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) - is now back on the radar as clothiers realise that linking it with PLM yields bigger benefits than using either technology alone. This month's management briefing from just-style looks at the rise of integrated ERP-PLM solutions, implementation issues, and its growth in emerging markets.
It's no secret that Product Lifecycle Managment (PLM) has taken the global apparel industry by storm, becoming a must-have software tool for many clothing companies seeking economies of scale in the increasingly competitive fashion market.
Just as fashion styles and trends have gone global, so have the IT vendors that cater to these companies - and those that sell ERP and PLM applications are no exception.
As ERP and PLM integrated suites become an increasingly important tool for apparel companies looking to edge out the competition, software suppliers are also constantly adding new features and capabilities to their products as they strive to rein in the market.
While many software vendors love to boast about the benefits of their products, few admit that they are rarely glitch-free and that implementing them into an organisation can take time and patience.
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015