September 2012 management briefing: RFID in apparel supply chains
Major clothing retailers, brands and importers are benefiting from the data collection and management options offered by new technology in labels - especially radio frequency identification (RFID) tags. Not only does this represent a fundamental piece of the production process that can be leveraged to save money and increase sales, but the technology, too, is becoming increasingly sophisticated - as this management briefing reports.
Labels - be they hangtags with mobile barcodes, labels directly printed onto a garment, or RFID technologies - now represent a fundamental piece of the production process that can be leveraged to save money and increase sales.
The management challenge of introducing increasingly sophisticated labels is compounded by the continuing diversity of labelling laws worldwide.
Despite the increasing number of roll-outs of RFID item-level tagging by retail giants such as Walmart, JCPenney, Marks & Spencer and supply chain giant Li & Fung, the price of RFID inlays (the electronic component that comprises of an antenna made of copper, silver or aluminium along with a silicon chip attached to a synthetic backing) has not budged.
Major clothing retailers are benefiting in significant ways from the new data collection and management options offered by new technology in labels, especially regarding radio frequency identification (RFID) tags.
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Wal-Mart replaces US division chief
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges