Dillard's | Verdict Company Briefing
While Dillard’s continues to maintain a presence in the US department store market, and sales have stabilized after a long period of decline, it has only made a small impact on the market, lacking the ambition to rival its competitors such as Macy’s and Nordstrom. This Verdict company briefing includes analysis of sales and space data over a six year period and a global market share for 2011.
- Benchmark Dillard's performance by discovering its six year sales and space history.
- Consider your own expansion strategy in the US market by building awareness of Dillard's domestic plans.
- Justify and inform development of private label ranges by uncovering Dillard's activity in this area.
Dillard’s has used its private label offering to drive footfall to stores and give consumers value for money; however, with its private label share at 22.7% of total sales in FY2011, the retailer could be utilizing these ranges much more.
Although the retailer has posted a set of positive results for FY2012, its sales are still way down on FY2007, showing that there is some way to go before the company recovers its sales to pre-recessionary levels. Dillard's has, however, concentrated on controlling its expenses and inventory, helping to improve margins.
- What was Dillard's share of the global department store market in 2011?
- How has Dillard's domestic store network changed over time? And how does this compare to competitors such as JCPenney and Macy's?
- What were Dillard's sales splits for clothing, footwear accessories, homewares and cosmetics in FY2011?
Table of contents
•Dillard's continues to build on the growth it achieved in FY2010
•Recent key events
?Dillard's has converted its Madison Square Mall store into a clearance store
?Dillard's has formed an exclusive partnership with accessories brand Vera Bradley
?Dillard's achieved sales growth in FY2011, albeit in the low single digits
?Dillard's has been retracting its store presence
?Dillard's lacks the ambition to rival department store leaders in the US
•Ask the analyst
•Table: Dillard's company overview,
•Table: Dillard's operating statistics, 2007–12
•Table: Dillard's store portfolio, 2007–12
•Figure: Dillard's clearance store fascia in the US,
•Figure: Dillard's sales ($m) and operating margin (%), 2007–12
Related research categories
By company: Dillard's Inc