Kohl's | Verdict Company Briefing
Kohl’s is the third largest department store chain, both globally and in the US, aided by its rapid expansion and long-standing exclusive brands and private label ranges, however since the start of FY2013 like-for-like sales have dipped. This Verdict company briefing includes analysis of sales and space data over a six year period and a global market share for 2011.
- Benchmark Kohl's performance by discovering its six year sales and space history.
- Understand how to introduce exclusive celebrity ranges by learning about Kohl's celebrity partnerships.
- Consider launching a designer diffusion line by learning who Kohl's plans to partner with.
- Consider how to adapt your store format by understanding how Kohl's has introduced its smaller format stores.
Kohl’s Authentic Icon collection in collaboration with US reality TV show American Idol, will allow the retailer to gain a larger share of the youth market. It is looking to capitalize on the success of the show to drive footfall to stores. As the range is exclusive to Kohl's it will further differentiate its offering from rivals.
Kohl’s has reduced its expansion plans for 2012, and will aim to open 20 stores a year from now on. It has confirmed that 90% of new stores will be smaller format, as Kohl’s has been satisfied with their performance with regards to operating margins and productivity, and Verdict expects the group to continue opening such stores in the future.
- What was Kohl's share of the global department store market in 2011?
- How has Kohl's domestic store network changed over time? And has its rapid space expansion slowed?
- How has Kohl's diversified its product offering in the past two years with the use of celebrity ranges?
Table of contents
Related research categories
By company: Kohl's Corporation