New Look | Verdict Company Briefing
New Look has expanded aggressively in the last decade, with space and sales growth often in double digits. However, the value end of the clothing market is becoming tougher with a more frugal customer limiting discretionary spending. We expect this to have impacted New Look's clothing market share performance, falling 0.1 of a percentage point in 2011 with the same fate in store for 2012
- Compare your allocation of clothing retail space with New Look by uncovering Verdict's data on the space dedicated to over 30 product categories.
- Justify and inform development of physical space strategies and new store concepts by uncovering New Look's activity in this area.
- Consider your own multichannel development strategy by building awareness of New Look's online optimisation and adoption of new technologies.
- Benchmark New Look's performance by using Verdict's proprietary sales data for womenswear, menswear, childrenswear, accessories and footwear.
New Look has reviewed its store network, leading to the conclusion that about 10.0% of its stores will be closed over the next three years. We believe it has overextended itself in its domestic market, and it is right to close stores. While 60 store closures will aid its recovery, we expect more closures in the future to try and protect profits.
New Look has seen continued pressure from competitors such as Primark, H&M and Topshop which remain fashion-orientated and trend-led. This has eroded New Look's competitive advantage as being quick at interpreting catwalk and celebrity trends, particularly in womenswear, highlighting its ability to give consumers fast, affordable fashion
We believe that footwear sales will be negative for a second year in 2011/12, suffering due to a weak clothing performance having a knock on impact on footwear. However we expect the decline to be at a slower rate than in the year before and for footwear still to outperform overall clothing.
- How have New Look's clothing sales and densities developed and how does Verdict see this changing? How does it allocate its space between categories?
- What is New Look's share of the womenswear, menswear, childrenswear, accessories & footwear markets? What is its forecast 2012 value clothing share?
- Which customer segments visit New Look for clothing and footwear and what is its share of each demographic group?
- What is New Look's physical space strategy? What are the benefits of closing underperforming stores?
Table of contents
?New Look needs a CEO following management mass exodus;
?Stores to close but launches new format;
?Squeezed by competitors on all sides but should target Peacocks customers;
?Must communicate value for money credentials;
?Rolls out click & collect.
•Squeezed on all sides
•Recent key events
?Concerns over leadership and future of its stores remain
•Proposition & customer profile
?UK sales tumble in 2010/11
?Sales growth halts as negative UK like-for-likes continue
?Store growth in UK slows dramatically
•Sector performance – clothing & footwear
?Womenswear dominates sales
?Focus on value essential
•Verdict company briefing
?Market size calculation
?Sales density calculation
•Ask the analyst
•Table: New Look company information
•Table: New Look retail proposition
•Table: New Look key operating statistics 2007–12e
•Table: New Look trading record 2002–12e
•Table: New Look UK store portfolio 2002–12e
•Table: New Look space allocation
•Table: New Look UK clothing & footwear sector sales 2007e–12e
•Table: New Look UK clothing & footwear sector growth rates 2007e–12e
•Table: New Look clothing and footwear market share breakdowns 2007–12e
•Figure: New Look fascia
•Figure: Kelly Brook's lingerie line for New Look
•Figure: Clothing visitor share by demographic group,
•Figure: Footwear visitor share by demographic group,
•Figure: New Look UK retail sales and growth to March 2007–12e
•Figure: New Look group operating profit to year end March 2007–11
•Figure: New Look clothing space breakdown
•Figure: New Look footwear space breakdown
•Figure: New Look clothing & footwear sales mix
•Figure: New Look clothing sales to March 2007e–12e
•Figure: New Look footwear sales to March 2007e–12e
•Figure: New Look clothing sales per sq ft to March 2007e–12e
•Figure: New Look footwear sales per sq ft to March 2007e–12e
•Figure: New Look clothing and accessories market shares 2007–12e
•Figure: New Look footwear and value market shares 2007–12e
Related research categories
By company: New Look
The just-style office is currently: Open
Office opening hours
The office is closed during weekends.
Current time at just-style headquarters: 9:10am (Monday, 9 December 2013)