The apparel and textile business blog from Michelle Russell
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Michelle Russell.
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufacturers try to find the right balance across all these factors...
The recent bankruptcy of South Korea's Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, at the end of August, has left billions of dollars worth of merchandise in limbo, leaving the fallout for apparel and footwear importers and exporters unclear...
The rejection of globalisation 22 Aug 16
Mike Flanagan, CEO at industry consultancy Clothesource, spent the first six months of 2016 campaigning to stay in the EU. Not once, he says, did he hear his opponents - or anyone in Britain's new, Brexit-friendly government - say they wanted to reject global integration or repudiate over 30 years of globalisation...
Industry weighs up impact of Brexit 4 Jul 16
Britain's historic vote in favour of leaving the European Union (EU) has left retailers and manufacturers mulling the consequences as the nation prepares for a long period of political and economic uncertainty...
Innovation was the hot topic last week as a raft of apparel and textile companies revealed new fabrics, fibres and technologies designed to shake-up the industry...
A referendum on Britain’s continuing membership of the European Union will take place on 23 June. Opinion polls in early March showed voters split about 50/50, with around one-third still unsure...
Central America's textile exports are forecast to slow this year as Vietnam continues to gain US market share. And, with the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) gaining new support, it is expected more sourcing and investment will move to Vietnam. In response, Central America is scrambling to hammer out a new regional textiles growth strategy...
Happy New Year from just-style 6 Jan 16
Happy New Year from the team at just-style. We hope you had a good break...
The winners and losers of 2015 21 Dec 15
From retailing to manufacturing, sourcing and sustainability, winners and losers were not hard to find in the apparel industry in 2015. As the year draws to a close, just-style's annual review tracks those for whom 2015 will be memorable in more ways than one...
China promotes its 13th Five-Year Plan 30 Nov 15
China is using a catchy English-language TV ad to promote its 13th Five-Year Plan for the five years to 2020. But Mike Flanagan questions whether the Plan really tells us how garment-making in China will be affected...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- US Q4 in brief – Macy's, Walmart, VF Corp
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar