US: $325m in counterfeit apparel seized
Officials in the US have broken up two smuggling rings, and seized counterfeit apparel and footwear worth $325m, which was set to be illegally imported into the country.
Some 29 people were charged under the operations, which involved smuggling goods through the Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal.
The first seizure included more than 135 containers of mainly Coach, Louis Vuitton and other handbags as well as Ugg boots, Nike sneakers and clothing and had an estimated retail value of more than $300m, the New Jersey District Attorney's office said on Friday (2 March).
It also discovered a further 35 containers of goods with a retail value of over $25m, including counterfeit Nike sneakers, Ugg boots, Louis Vuitton, Coach, and Gucci handbags and cigarettes.
"The cost of counterfeit goods is not limited to massive financial harm to American businesses and consumers," said US Attorney Paul Fishman. "Criminals can exploit the same channels to import other material that threatens our health and safety."
Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo are Latin America's leading luxury brands, according to industry observers who add the region's elite follow global trends when it comes to choosing their ...
After more than doubling its growth rates between 2008 and 2012, Brazil is the darling of Latin America's luxury apparel and goods market. Last year, the market for designer clothing and footwear grew...
The outpouring of rage that followed the revelation that Olympic opening ceremony uniforms for US athletes were made in China highlights a 'New Accountability' in apparel sourcing, Mike Flanagan belie...
Adidas's sponsorship strategy is paying dividends, with the sportswear brand's chief executive Herbert Hainer highlighting the success of its sponsorship of the London Olympics and the Euro 2012 footb...
Sportswear giant Nike made a rare stumble in its fourth quarter as higher product and marketing costs took their toll on margins and offset the largely positive effects of higher sales, price increase...
Nike has remained quiet on rumours the sporting goods giant is close to signing a deal to become the official uniform supplier for the England football team....
German department store operator Karstadt has made a number of new appointments in its fashion and merchandising department as part of its turnaround plans....
Chinese footwear and sportswear group Belle International reported a rise in first-half net income, despite the group seeing a decline in consumer confidence. ...
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020