UK: 350 Sara Lee Workers Thrown Jobs Lifeline
Up to 350 workers at a textile factory earmarked for closure could be thrown a lifeline as bosses look to win a major contract for public service uniforms.
Staff at Sara Lee Courtaulds' plant in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, were told earlier this month the loss of a vital contract to produce Marks and Spencer's Autograph range would likely lead to the plant's closure in October.
But bosses have now pledged to try and win a contract to make uniforms for Government bodies such as the NHS or Ministry of Defence following high-level talks on Wednesday.
GMB union official, Derek Cattell, told Newsquest Media Group: "As present, there is no sign of Marks and Spencer reversing their decision.
"But there was a long and useful discussion about the company exploring the possibility of tendering for Government clothing contracts.
"No promises were made, but there was a genuine offer from the company to look at this alternative with the help of One NorthEast (regeneration agency) It would be a tragedy to lose such a hard-working and versatile workforce."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Food and consumer products group Sara Lee Corp is axing 775 jobs from its Branded Apparel business as it prepares to turn the division into a publicly held company....
VF Corporation owned denim brand, Lee, has seen growth of about 30 per cent in India, with sales rising from US$18 million (Rs780 million) in 2003 to over US$23 million (Rs1 billion) in 2004....
Jeans wear company Lee Cooper Group Limited and its affiliated companies have been acquired by Sun Capital Partners Inc's affiliate and two unrelated equity sponsors....
Intimate apparel manufacturer Sara Lee Branded Apparel has introduced an integrated mix of retail and supply chain software at its Lovable division in Italy to enhance the smooth running of its new re...
Value retail chain Matalan Plc has confirmed that it will sell its Lee Cooper brand to private equity firm Emerisque Capital for £30 million, and has reported a 31 per cent hike in full-year underlyin...
Manufacturing giant Sara Lee Corp's branded apparel unit plans to axe 350 jobs from the division that makes Champion sportswear and intimate apparel under the Bali, Playtex, L'eggs and Wonderbra brand...
US retail group Sara Lee Corporation has named Frank van Oers as a vice president of the corporation, with immediate effect....
Apparel manufacturer VF Corp has reported an 18 per cent leap in first-quarter income, encouraged by good business at its outdoor, imagewear and sportswear businesses following acquisitions....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack