HONG KONG: 361 Degrees FY earnings plummet
- FY net earnings fall 70.1%
- Gross margin at 39.5%
- Sales slump 27.6%
361 Degrees International saw its earnings plummet in fiscal 2013 as a result of the slowing economy, weak consumer sentiment, and the threat of e-commerce to brick-and-mortar operations.
The Hong Kong sportswear maker saw earnings fall 70.1% to CNY211.3m (US$34.2m) in the 12 month period from CNY707.2m a year earlier.
Gross margin shed 0.3 percentage points to 39.5%, primarily due to two reductions in wholesale pricing to distributors during the year.
On the back of a weak order book from trade fairs held earlier in the year, the group's revenue slumped by 27.6% to close the year at CNY3.58bn.
"In a defining year under the new Chinese leadership, the sportswear industry continued to struggle throughout 2013, although there were increasing signs of a very modest recovery," the company said. "As inventories declined in the face of lower new supplies by the leading brands, retailers were able to hold discounting at a more reasonable level.
"However, with a slowing economy, store traffic remained rather weak as consumers were confronted with an ever-increasing choice of brands. E-commerce further posed an ever-increasing threat to the traditional brick-and-mortar stores in the industry, although it primarily now serves as a clearance channel."
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015