IRELAND: 700 jobs saved in Elverys management buyout
The management buyout safeguards 700 jobs in Ireland
Around 700 jobs have been saved as a result of a management buyout of Irish sportswear chain Elverys, which has been in examinership since February.
Elverys, which is headquartered in Castlebar, Mayo, operates 55 stores in Ireland.
The move comes two months after UK retailer Sports Direct set its sights on acquiring Ireland's oldest sportswear chain, with CEO Dave Forsey saying it would be an "excellent strategic fit" for the company in the country.
Sources close to Sportsworld, which is owned by Sports Direct's Irish partner Heatons, expressed their disappointment with yesterday's (31 March) decision, and added: "We wanted to maintain and develop the Elverys brand."
"We put forward a compelling bid that was, in our view, in the interests of all stakeholders including the Elvery's employees, creditors and Irish consumers."
The capital that was earmarked for this transaction, the sources added, will now be used to invest in Sportsworld to "develop the business organically".
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
Retailer Sports Direct International overcame a weak winter sports season for its Austrian subsidiary to post increases in gross profit and revenue for the three months to 25 January....
Introduction Footwear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018).......
Sports Direct International has remained tight-lipped over reports it is facing an investigation over the way 80 staff at its Scottish warehouse were made redundant when administrators were called in....
Introduction Footwear in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil......
Sports Direct International owner Mike Ashley has placed his USC apparel chain into administration and re-acquired it through his Republic clothing fascia....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Uniqlo owner highlights supplier factory progress
- Clothing a top category for mass personalisation
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019