IRELAND: 700 jobs saved in Elverys management buyout
The management buyout safeguards 700 jobs in Ireland
Around 700 jobs have been saved as a result of a management buyout of Irish sportswear chain Elverys, which has been in examinership since February.
Elverys, which is headquartered in Castlebar, Mayo, operates 55 stores in Ireland.
The move comes two months after UK retailer Sports Direct set its sights on acquiring Ireland's oldest sportswear chain, with CEO Dave Forsey saying it would be an "excellent strategic fit" for the company in the country.
Sources close to Sportsworld, which is owned by Sports Direct's Irish partner Heatons, expressed their disappointment with yesterday's (31 March) decision, and added: "We wanted to maintain and develop the Elverys brand."
"We put forward a compelling bid that was, in our view, in the interests of all stakeholders including the Elvery's employees, creditors and Irish consumers."
The capital that was earmarked for this transaction, the sources added, will now be used to invest in Sportsworld to "develop the business organically".
Sports Direct International owner Mike Ashley has placed his USC apparel chain into administration and re-acquired it through his Republic clothing fascia....
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
UK retailer Sports Direct International has remained tight lipped over reports it is planning to close up to a third of its loss-making USC fashion stores....
Introduction Footwear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018).......
UK retailer Sports Direct International has delivered a robust performance in its first-half, analysts have said, with earnings up nearly 10%....
Introduction Footwear in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil......
Australian retailer Pacific Brands has completed its divestments of the Brand Collective and Workwear businesses....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead