IRELAND: 700 jobs saved in Elverys management buyout
The management buyout safeguards 700 jobs in Ireland
Around 700 jobs have been saved as a result of a management buyout of Irish sportswear chain Elverys, which has been in examinership since February.
Elverys, which is headquartered in Castlebar, Mayo, operates 55 stores in Ireland.
The move comes two months after UK retailer Sports Direct set its sights on acquiring Ireland's oldest sportswear chain, with CEO Dave Forsey saying it would be an "excellent strategic fit" for the company in the country.
Sources close to Sportsworld, which is owned by Sports Direct's Irish partner Heatons, expressed their disappointment with yesterday's (31 March) decision, and added: "We wanted to maintain and develop the Elverys brand."
"We put forward a compelling bid that was, in our view, in the interests of all stakeholders including the Elvery's employees, creditors and Irish consumers."
The capital that was earmarked for this transaction, the sources added, will now be used to invest in Sportsworld to "develop the business organically".
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
Retailer Sports Direct International overcame a weak winter sports season for its Austrian subsidiary to post increases in gross profit and revenue for the three months to 25 January....
Introduction Footwear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018).......
Sports Direct International has remained tight-lipped over reports it is facing an investigation over the way 80 staff at its Scottish warehouse were made redundant when administrators were called in....
Introduction Footwear in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil......
Sports Direct International owner Mike Ashley has placed his USC apparel chain into administration and re-acquired it through his Republic clothing fascia....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Over 8,000 children in Delhi garment industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015