IRELAND: 700 jobs saved in Elverys management buyout
The management buyout safeguards 700 jobs in Ireland
Around 700 jobs have been saved as a result of a management buyout of Irish sportswear chain Elverys, which has been in examinership since February.
Elverys, which is headquartered in Castlebar, Mayo, operates 55 stores in Ireland.
The move comes two months after UK retailer Sports Direct set its sights on acquiring Ireland's oldest sportswear chain, with CEO Dave Forsey saying it would be an "excellent strategic fit" for the company in the country.
Sources close to Sportsworld, which is owned by Sports Direct's Irish partner Heatons, expressed their disappointment with yesterday's (31 March) decision, and added: "We wanted to maintain and develop the Elverys brand."
"We put forward a compelling bid that was, in our view, in the interests of all stakeholders including the Elvery's employees, creditors and Irish consumers."
The capital that was earmarked for this transaction, the sources added, will now be used to invest in Sportsworld to "develop the business organically".
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
Retailer Sports Direct International overcame a weak winter sports season for its Austrian subsidiary to post increases in gross profit and revenue for the three months to 25 January....
Sports Direct International has remained tight-lipped over reports it is facing an investigation over the way 80 staff at its Scottish warehouse were made redundant when administrators were called in....
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory