US: Abercrombie & Fitch hires Goldman Sachs?
Pressure from investors has spurred teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch to hire investment banking firm Goldman Sachs, according to reports.
Ralph Whitworth, the founder of Relational Investors, is said to have pressured A&F to cut back international store openings and spending, Bloomberg reported. Whitworth has allegedly told the teen clothing retailer it could be worth $50 a share if its spending was the same as rivals.
However, a spokesperson for Abercrombie & Fitch told just-style: "The company does comment on rumors or news reports."
Last month, the retailer saw its second-quarter net profit decline sharply on the back of slower sales in its international stores and the first drop in US same-store sales for three years.
CEO and chairman Mike Jeffries described the results as "disappointing" as US sales slipped 5% to $648m, while comparable store sales declined 10% over the quarter.
In June, Abercrombie & Fitch earmarked a further 180 underperforming stores to close over the next few years to improve efficiency and reduce expenses. This came after the retailer revealed it has closed 135 stores in the past two years.
Teen clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch has confirmed plans to close up to 50 stores in the US this year as it revealed a downbeat forecast for the first quarter. ...
Teen clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch has promoted Amy Zehrer to executive vice president of stores....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details