US: Abercrombie & Fitch shareholder calls for new boss
Abercrombie & Fitch shareholder Engaged Capital has urged the teen apparel retailer to replace CEO Michael Jeffries when his contract expires in February.
The investor, which owns 400,000 shares in Abercrombie & Fitch, said the expiration of Jeffries' contract is an opportunity to set a "new direction" for the company.
Continuing on the present course under the leadership of Jeffries would "further cement the loss of shareholder confidence", Engaged Capital noted.
Last month, Abercrombie & Fitch swung to a third-quarter loss on a double-digit drop in sales and costs linked to the restructuring of its Gilly Hicks business.
In a letter, Engaged Capital principal and chief investment officer, Glenn Welling, said: "Investors in Abercrombie have endured poor performance due to poor leadership for far too long. The board needs to come to the same conclusion that everyone else already has - it is time for new leadership at Abercrombie & Fitch."
Engaged Capital added the renewal of Jeffries' employment contract would be a "direct contradiction" to what shareholders want and the company needs.
"Abercrombie & Fitch's future success will be dependent on the company's ability to adapt to a fast changing retail environment, carefully manage expenses, and efficiently allocate capital," Welling added.
"We urge the board to immediately commence a CEO search for candidates with relevant retail apparel and turnaround experience or consider a sale of the company."
"Abercrombie & Fitch Co. : Retail - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key ...
Canadean's "Abercrombie & Fitch Co. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
US apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch has appointed Kohl's EVP of finance, Joanne Crevoiserat, as its CEO....
Apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch reported a slump in fourth quarter profit, impacted by a series of charges related to asset impairments and the closure of its Gilly Hicks chain....
In its latest round of management changes, teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch has promoted CFO Jonathan Ramsden to the newly-created role of COO....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- PSF 2014: Ten sustainability takeaways
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy