US: Acquisition costs push PVH Corp to Q4 loss
- Q4 net loss of US$37.5m
- Gross margin narrows to 52.1%
- Sales increase 25%
In the three months ended 2 February, losses amounted to US$37.5m, compared to a year-earlier profit of $80.7m. Gross margin narrowed to 52.1% from 53.8% in the year ago period.
Revenue, however, increased 25% to $2.05bn, compared with $1.64bn a year earlier, principally driven by the addition of around $479m of sales related to the acquired Warnaco businesses, in addition to sales of $18m from the firm's Tommy Hilfiger and pre-acquisition Calvin Klein businesses.
CEO Emanuel Chirico said: "We are pleased with our 2013 fourth quarter results, which exceeded our previous guidance for earnings per share, despite the difficult retail environment.
"While our newly acquired Calvin Klein jeans business, particularly in North America and Europe, struggled in 2013, we believe that our focused investments will drive future profitability."
For the first quarter, PVH said the "difficult macroeconomic environment" meant the company is being cautious on its guidance and has therefore forecast adjusted profit of $1.45 to $1.50 per share on sales of $2bn.
UBS analyst Michael Binetti says: "PVH's guidance for 2014 is comprised of revenue growth accelerating through the year. We believe orders for both big brands (Tommy and CK) accelerated for the fall - which should support PVH's outlook for accelerating corporate revenue growth through the year."
PVH Corp is in prime position to capitalise on a number of macro trends in the apparel and footwear market, such as the menswear renaissance and the growth of affordable luxury. The strong brand equit...
Lingerie is a term used for women's innerwear. It originated from the French word 'linge' for linen. Though in French the term is used for both male and female undergarments, in English it is solely u...
Plimsoll Publishing’s UNDERWEAR MANUFACTURERS (Global) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the UNDERWEAR MANUFACTURERS (Global) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top ...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the line-up for this year's Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong, sandblasting claims in Chinese jeans factories, and a roundup of wearable t...
Synopsis Canadean's "Bluefly, Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products an...
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020