US: Acquisition costs push PVH Corp to Q4 loss
- Q4 net loss of US$37.5m
- Gross margin narrows to 52.1%
- Sales increase 25%
In the three months ended 2 February, losses amounted to US$37.5m, compared to a year-earlier profit of $80.7m. Gross margin narrowed to 52.1% from 53.8% in the year ago period.
Revenue, however, increased 25% to $2.05bn, compared with $1.64bn a year earlier, principally driven by the addition of around $479m of sales related to the acquired Warnaco businesses, in addition to sales of $18m from the firm's Tommy Hilfiger and pre-acquisition Calvin Klein businesses.
CEO Emanuel Chirico said: "We are pleased with our 2013 fourth quarter results, which exceeded our previous guidance for earnings per share, despite the difficult retail environment.
"While our newly acquired Calvin Klein jeans business, particularly in North America and Europe, struggled in 2013, we believe that our focused investments will drive future profitability."
For the first quarter, PVH said the "difficult macroeconomic environment" meant the company is being cautious on its guidance and has therefore forecast adjusted profit of $1.45 to $1.50 per share on sales of $2bn.
UBS analyst Michael Binetti says: "PVH's guidance for 2014 is comprised of revenue growth accelerating through the year. We believe orders for both big brands (Tommy and CK) accelerated for the fall - which should support PVH's outlook for accelerating corporate revenue growth through the year."
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the line-up for this year's Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong, sandblasting claims in Chinese jeans factories, and a roundup of wearable t...
The line-up for this year's Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong features senior executives from VF Corp, PVH, Under Armour, New Balance, Adidas and TAL Apparel, who will discuss sourcing in Africa, the im...
Global trade management (GTM) software provider Amber Road is adding to its capabilities with the $33m acquisition of Hong Kong based ecVision, which specialises in global sourcing and collaborative s...
Kenneth Cole Productions has appointed former PVH Corp executive Marc Schneider as CEO....
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- Why synthetic fibres are a safe bet for the future
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras