NORWAY: Action call after chemicals found in clothing
Norway’s Consumer Council is calling on the authorities and apparel industry for a “more aggressive” approach after banned chemicals were found in clothing.
The council found endocrine-disrupting substances DBP and DEHP in a t-shirt sold by Cubus in Norway – substances banned in toys and childcare articles because they can impact fertility and damage the foetus.
The substance degrades the endocrine-disrupting substance nonylephenol and is banned in clothing made in the EU, but not in imported clothes.
“Children and adolescents are particularly vulnerable to harmful chemicals and are not well enough protected by the current legislation,” said Consumer Council director Randi Flesland.
“When prominent scientists cry warning about what endocrine disrupters can do with our health, politicians must wake up.
“Norwegian authorities have to put significantly more pressure on the EU to ban the substances, while industry must be encouraged to start phasing out immediately.”
Zara Japan Corp continues to expand the presence of Zara and its sister brand Bershka. Two more brands were introduced into the Japanese market in 2013 and 2014 – Zara Home and Stradivarius. The compa...
Zara Österreich Clothing GmbH is expected to follow its strategy of expansion in Austria over the forecast period. This is influenced by the strategy of its parent company, Inditex, which invests in o...
Zara focuses on mid-priced products in Russia. The key for manufacturers is that this approach enables Russian buyers to feel involved in the world of high fashion but at an affordable level. The perc...
Zara Ceska Republica focuses on high quality and stylish menswear and womenswear, complemented by apparel accessories and footwear in line with the latest fashion trends. It also caters to consumers w...
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis