GERMANY: Adidas cuts fabric waste by focusing on design
The new 'Low Waste' Adidas by Stella McCartney line
Performance sportswear brand Adidas says it has almost completely eliminated fabric waste in the production of its Running and Adidas by Stella McCartney ranges by changing the way it makes patterns.
The Adidas by Stella McCartney line now includes 'Low Waste' tees, shorts and a sweatshirt that use a limited number of colours and employ "advanced, eco-friendly cutting techniques" to ensure that 95% of a fabric roll goes into the final product.
The remaining 5% is recycled or repurposed, so that no surplus material goes to waste.
Likewise, the new Running apparel range has been designed to feature square and rectangles in the main pattern, along with stretchy inserts. By changing the design in this way, the team increased pattern efficiency to 96% - meaning 96% of the fabric on the cutting table was used in the product.
"Changing perceptions and going against the norm can lead to a more efficient design process - a design process that doesn't compromise comfort, fit or style," Adidas says.
Craig Vanderoef, business unit director, global running at Adidas added: "Our goal, when designing these ranges, was to maximise pattern efficiency while being as resourceful and creative as possible. We have created products that are high performing, and stylish that also reduce waste."
Luxury label Stella McCartney has become the first global fashion brand to support the development of wildlife-friendly fibres, textiles and raw materials in its supply chain....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- H&M to work with ILO on sustainable supply chains
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report