GERMANY: Adidas eyes lift from Energy Boost running shoes
Sportswear giant Adidas is hoping to increase its share of the running market with a "revolutionary" cushioning innovation unveiled as the first launch product within its new Energy Running segment.
The new Energy Boost shoes feature 'Boost' cushioning foam in the midsole, which "provides the highest energy return in any running products," according to Eric Liedtke, head of sport performance.
He adds: "Energy Boost will reset the running industry and pave the way for all future performance footwear."
The new foam material has been developed with chemical company BASF and consists of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) beads, which create a spongy surface and store and release energy.
Unlike standard EVA, the Boost foam is said to perform more consistently and does not lose its cushioning properties when tested at extreme temperatures from +40 to -20 degrees C - as well as maintaining its key characteristics over its lifetime.
Other technologies that feature in the shoe includes a special mid-foot support frame which cradles the foot in place, and an extended Torsion system from heel to toe which helps to minimise roll for more stability.
There is also an Adiwear outsole which reduces wear in key sole areas and extends the life of the shoe, and an external heel counter which maximises the runner's heel fit and comfort.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis