GERMANY: Adidas eyes lift from Energy Boost running shoes
Sportswear giant Adidas is hoping to increase its share of the running market with a "revolutionary" cushioning innovation unveiled as the first launch product within its new Energy Running segment.
The new Energy Boost shoes feature 'Boost' cushioning foam in the midsole, which "provides the highest energy return in any running products," according to Eric Liedtke, head of sport performance.
He adds: "Energy Boost will reset the running industry and pave the way for all future performance footwear."
The new foam material has been developed with chemical company BASF and consists of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) beads, which create a spongy surface and store and release energy.
Unlike standard EVA, the Boost foam is said to perform more consistently and does not lose its cushioning properties when tested at extreme temperatures from +40 to -20 degrees C - as well as maintaining its key characteristics over its lifetime.
Other technologies that feature in the shoe includes a special mid-foot support frame which cradles the foot in place, and an extended Torsion system from heel to toe which helps to minimise roll for more stability.
There is also an Adiwear outsole which reduces wear in key sole areas and extends the life of the shoe, and an external heel counter which maximises the runner's heel fit and comfort.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details