AUSTRIA: Adidas fired up for Euro 2008 opportunity
The boss of sporting goods firm Adidas says that the Euro 2008 football tournament in Austria and Switzerland is turning out to be a "great success" for the brand, it was reported from the sidelines of the competition.
The company said it has more than doubled its football product sales since the last Euros four years ago, and claims to have expanded its leadership position in football too.
Herbert Hainer, CEO and chairman of Adidas, said in Vienna today (16 June): "For Adidas, the UEFA Euro 2008 has already proven to be a great success.
"We have succeeded in carrying on the momentum of the World Cup which took place in our home country and further expanding our market leadership position in the global football business.
"This means - to use a sporting analogy - we have not only made it through to the next round, we are already a clear European Championship winner."
As official sponsor of Euro 2008, Adidas is supplying balls and equipment for officials, referees, volunteers and ball boys at the tournament.
The company also outfits the national teams of Germany, France, Spain, Romania and Greece as well as over 100 individual players.
Its marketing activities include a 42-metre-high likeness of the Czech national team goalkeeper, Petr Cech, at the Prater in Vienna.
However, the Czech Republic made a surprise exit from the tournament last night - throwing away a two goal lead against Turkey with Cech at fault for one of the goals.
US sporting goods firm Nike has unveiled the new Nike Zoom Kobe IV, described as its lightest basketball shoe ever, which will be launched in China from the start of next year....
Leading footwear players like Adidas, Puma and Nike are likely to shift some of their purchasing and production from China to India over the next three years, according to new research, as Chinese pro...
Jordan Brand, a division of Nike, has launched a new marketing campaign in the US....
Sporting goods firm Nike will debut its new 'shrink wrap' football uniforms this weekend during the 109th meeting of the US Army vs Navy teams....
Sportswear giant Puma is set to take a majority shareholding in Dutch licensee Dobotex, with effect from the beginning of next year....
Columbia Sportswear Company has appointed Kirk Richardson as its general manager of footwear, with effect from yesterday (1 December)....
Adidas is set to mark the 60th anniversary of the company registering its iconic three stripes mark with the biggest ever global brand campaign for Adidas Originals....
Adidas and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) have agreed an 11-year partnership, giving the sporting goods firm world-wide sponsorship rights for all IAAF World Athletic Se...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020