USA: Adidas Hit With Kangaroo Leather Lawsuit
A group of animal rights activists on Wednesday sued Adidas-Salomon AG in a California court amid allegations the German sportswear giant is selling cleats which include kangaroo products banned the state.
The lawsuit, which was filed by Viva!, also names several California stores that sell the Adidas cleats and sports shoes they claim feature kangaroo leather. The case seeks to halt imports of those products.
Adidas is getting away with murder in Australia and California," said a spokesman for the group. "They are showing the same disregard for California law that the hunters show the baby kangaroos whom they bludgeoned to death."
Adidas has yet to comment on the lawsuit. Earlier this year animal rights groups staged global demonstrations against the use of kangaroo skins in soccer boots from manufacturers such as Adidas and Umbro.
They say more than three million kangaroo hides were exported from Australia in 2002, and that mass culling of the animals has been fuelled by demand for kangaroo leather from sports shoe firms.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Although Ukraine has the potential to be the top East European clothing supplier to Western Europe, the industry's growth is hampered by a lack of foreign investment. But this could be about to change...
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
Sportswear company Adidas-Salomon AG has agreed a long-term design deal with car manufacturer Porsche AG's Design unit....
Sportswear giant adidas' American subsidiary has named Russ Hopcus as senior vice president of sales....
Sportswear giant Adidas-Salomon AG says it plans to record football-related sales of more than €1 billion in 2006, with percentage growth in the two-digit range....
Sportswear company Adidas-Salomon AG, which this week announced it was selling its Salomon winter sports goods arm, says it predicts sales and profits to continue to rise during 2006, Dow Jones report...
Knit and apparel maker Fanco says the termination of its supply deal with sportswear giant Adidas will cause a €6.0 million loss in 2005....
Sportswear giant Adidas-Salomon AG has lost out in a feud over whether athletes can wear garments featuring its three-stripe logo at the Olympic Games....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Britain’s Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trad
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022