UKRAINE: Adidas says no impact from Russia conflict in Ukraine
The CEO of Sporting goods giant Adidas says the company has seen no impact on its operations to date as a result of the escalating political situation in Russia and the Ukraine.
Speaking on the firm's earnings call yesterday (5 March), CEO Herbert Hainer told investors its warehouses are all fully functioning at the present time but that it is "monitoring the situation quite carefully" and is in daily contact with management in Russia.
"We look at our individual store base in case the conflict gets bigger. We have less than 10% of our Russian business in Ukraine. All stores are open but we are in daily contact [with management] and we could definitely re-route products relatively fast in preparing for that.
"On the other hand, we obviously want to do business there because as I said before we haven't seen any negative impact and because the people - what we hear, this is daily routine how they live their lives there and we haven't seen anything negative from the people there."
Referring to the company's financial results, Hainer said 2014 had started well in Russia and so far doesn't see any negative impact from the political situation.
"Obviously it would be better if it could be solved peacefully, because as long as it goes on the consumer gets nervous, but we have not seen an impact so far."
Click here to read about plans by Adidas to potentially change its business model in order to help offset significant currency issues.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Joint programme to promote compliance in Pakistan
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- China - ISA Country Report