UKRAINE: Adidas says no impact from Russia conflict in Ukraine
The CEO of Sporting goods giant Adidas says the company has seen no impact on its operations to date as a result of the escalating political situation in Russia and the Ukraine.
Speaking on the firm's earnings call yesterday (5 March), CEO Herbert Hainer told investors its warehouses are all fully functioning at the present time but that it is "monitoring the situation quite carefully" and is in daily contact with management in Russia.
"We look at our individual store base in case the conflict gets bigger. We have less than 10% of our Russian business in Ukraine. All stores are open but we are in daily contact [with management] and we could definitely re-route products relatively fast in preparing for that.
"On the other hand, we obviously want to do business there because as I said before we haven't seen any negative impact and because the people - what we hear, this is daily routine how they live their lives there and we haven't seen anything negative from the people there."
Referring to the company's financial results, Hainer said 2014 had started well in Russia and so far doesn't see any negative impact from the political situation.
"Obviously it would be better if it could be solved peacefully, because as long as it goes on the consumer gets nervous, but we have not seen an impact so far."
Click here to read about plans by Adidas to potentially change its business model in order to help offset significant currency issues.
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Stock-out paradox persists despite data overload
- New fabric protection with battlefield beginnings
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019