UPDATE: CHINA: Adidas supplier in Government discussions over strike
Adidas has said it is closely monitoring the Yue Yuen shoe factory strike in China and that the supplier is in talks with the country's Government in a bid to address worker's concerns.
The German sporting goods giant is one of a number of companies, including Nike, that Yue Yuen, one of the world's largest shoe manufacturers, produces for.
It is understood around 40,000 workers downed tools at seven Yue Yuen factories earlier this week, with around 3,000 taking part in a protest over social security payments. An improved offer for social security benefits is said to have been rejected on Tuesday, prolonging the strike further.
It is the second strike by the workers this month, and according to China Labor Watch (CLW), is "likely one of the largest Chinese worker strikes in recent history".
A spokesperson for Adidas confirmed to just-style that a strike had taken place yesterday (16 April), at Pou Chen Group's Yue Yuen factory, located in Dongguan, in central Guangdong province.
"Workers expressed their concerns about social insurance related issues. We are closely monitoring the situation and we can confirm that our supplier Pou Chen Group is in discussion with the local government to seek ways to address the concerns expressed by the workers."
A spokesperson for Nike told just-style it was also "aware of and concerned" by the events at the Yue Yuen factory in Guangdong.
"We're continuing to monitor the dialogue between factory management and the workers, as well as production at the factory," the spokesperson added.
Nike Philippines Inc is expected to continuously hold running events such as the “Nike We Run Manila” to sustain interest in the sport among consumers although it is predicted to focus on other sports...
NIKE, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ......
2013 was marked by a strong investment by Nike in the Portuguese territory. Beyond the opening of important stores, Nike has been dedicated to increasing its penetration throughout a vigorous marketin...
Sporting goods giant Nike Inc is searching for a new president for its Nike Golf unit after Cindy Davis announced her decision to retire....
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam