UPDATE: CHINA: Adidas supplier in Government discussions over strike
Adidas has said it is closely monitoring the Yue Yuen shoe factory strike in China and that the supplier is in talks with the country's Government in a bid to address worker's concerns.
The German sporting goods giant is one of a number of companies, including Nike, that Yue Yuen, one of the world's largest shoe manufacturers, produces for.
It is understood around 40,000 workers downed tools at seven Yue Yuen factories earlier this week, with around 3,000 taking part in a protest over social security payments. An improved offer for social security benefits is said to have been rejected on Tuesday, prolonging the strike further.
It is the second strike by the workers this month, and according to China Labor Watch (CLW), is "likely one of the largest Chinese worker strikes in recent history".
A spokesperson for Adidas confirmed to just-style that a strike had taken place yesterday (16 April), at Pou Chen Group's Yue Yuen factory, located in Dongguan, in central Guangdong province.
"Workers expressed their concerns about social insurance related issues. We are closely monitoring the situation and we can confirm that our supplier Pou Chen Group is in discussion with the local government to seek ways to address the concerns expressed by the workers."
A spokesperson for Nike told just-style it was also "aware of and concerned" by the events at the Yue Yuen factory in Guangdong.
"We're continuing to monitor the dialogue between factory management and the workers, as well as production at the factory," the spokesperson added.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Canadean's "NIKE, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key...
Yue Yuen Industrial (Holdings) Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produ...
Yue Yuen Industrial (Holdings) Limited (Yue Yuen) is an investment holding company. It is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of athletic and casual footwear. The company manufactures, and sells ...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020