US: Adidas teams with Pharrell Williams and 'Bionic Yarn'
Pharrell Williams wearing Adidas
German sporting goods giant Adidas is teaming up with designer and musician Pharrell Williams in what the company says is a long-term partnership that will also incorporate 'Bionic Yarn' made from ocean plastic.
The first Adidas Originals x Pharrell Williams products will be launched in the summer, with some of the designs featuring Bionic Yarn, a product of the non-profit Vortex Project founded in 2013 by eco-material innovator Bionic, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and Parley for the Oceans.
The Vortex Project collects plastic debris from coastlines and oceans which is then upcycled into production materials, including the Bionic Yarn. Williams has been creative director of Bionic Yarn since 2009.
Adidas says this is the first time it has partnered with a designer who owns a textile company. "This is an exciting partnership for both me and for Bionic Yarn," Williams says.
Separately, the artist is also working on a collaboration with denim brand G-Star RAW called 'RAW for the Oceans.'
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019