US: Adidas teams with Pharrell Williams and 'Bionic Yarn'
Pharrell Williams wearing Adidas
German sporting goods giant Adidas is teaming up with designer and musician Pharrell Williams in what the company says is a long-term partnership that will also incorporate 'Bionic Yarn' made from ocean plastic.
The first Adidas Originals x Pharrell Williams products will be launched in the summer, with some of the designs featuring Bionic Yarn, a product of the non-profit Vortex Project founded in 2013 by eco-material innovator Bionic, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and Parley for the Oceans.
The Vortex Project collects plastic debris from coastlines and oceans which is then upcycled into production materials, including the Bionic Yarn. Williams has been creative director of Bionic Yarn since 2009.
Adidas says this is the first time it has partnered with a designer who owns a textile company. "This is an exciting partnership for both me and for Bionic Yarn," Williams says.
Separately, the artist is also working on a collaboration with denim brand G-Star RAW called 'RAW for the Oceans.'
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- UK retailers key to domestic manufacturing growth
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- M&S to see "departure" of sourcing chiefs?
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Adidas Speedfactory eyes large-scale production
- H&M, Inditex and Nike rated supply chain leaders