US: Adidas teams with Pharrell Williams and 'Bionic Yarn'
Pharrell Williams wearing Adidas
German sporting goods giant Adidas is teaming up with designer and musician Pharrell Williams in what the company says is a long-term partnership that will also incorporate 'Bionic Yarn' made from ocean plastic.
The first Adidas Originals x Pharrell Williams products will be launched in the summer, with some of the designs featuring Bionic Yarn, a product of the non-profit Vortex Project founded in 2013 by eco-material innovator Bionic, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and Parley for the Oceans.
The Vortex Project collects plastic debris from coastlines and oceans which is then upcycled into production materials, including the Bionic Yarn. Williams has been creative director of Bionic Yarn since 2009.
Adidas says this is the first time it has partnered with a designer who owns a textile company. "This is an exciting partnership for both me and for Bionic Yarn," Williams says.
Separately, the artist is also working on a collaboration with denim brand G-Star RAW called 'RAW for the Oceans.'
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024