US: Adidas teams with Pharrell Williams and 'Bionic Yarn'
Pharrell Williams wearing Adidas
German sporting goods giant Adidas is teaming up with designer and musician Pharrell Williams in what the company says is a long-term partnership that will also incorporate 'Bionic Yarn' made from ocean plastic.
The first Adidas Originals x Pharrell Williams products will be launched in the summer, with some of the designs featuring Bionic Yarn, a product of the non-profit Vortex Project founded in 2013 by eco-material innovator Bionic, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and Parley for the Oceans.
The Vortex Project collects plastic debris from coastlines and oceans which is then upcycled into production materials, including the Bionic Yarn. Williams has been creative director of Bionic Yarn since 2009.
Adidas says this is the first time it has partnered with a designer who owns a textile company. "This is an exciting partnership for both me and for Bionic Yarn," Williams says.
Separately, the artist is also working on a collaboration with denim brand G-Star RAW called 'RAW for the Oceans.'
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020