US: Adidas teams with Pharrell Williams and 'Bionic Yarn'
Pharrell Williams wearing Adidas
German sporting goods giant Adidas is teaming up with designer and musician Pharrell Williams in what the company says is a long-term partnership that will also incorporate 'Bionic Yarn' made from ocean plastic.
The first Adidas Originals x Pharrell Williams products will be launched in the summer, with some of the designs featuring Bionic Yarn, a product of the non-profit Vortex Project founded in 2013 by eco-material innovator Bionic, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and Parley for the Oceans.
The Vortex Project collects plastic debris from coastlines and oceans which is then upcycled into production materials, including the Bionic Yarn. Williams has been creative director of Bionic Yarn since 2009.
Adidas says this is the first time it has partnered with a designer who owns a textile company. "This is an exciting partnership for both me and for Bionic Yarn," Williams says.
Separately, the artist is also working on a collaboration with denim brand G-Star RAW called 'RAW for the Oceans.'
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead