INDIA: Aditya Birla in $305m deal to buy Pantaloons
Indian conglomerate Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited (ABNL) is to acquire a controlling stake in the flagship Pantaloons fashion chain, which is being spun off by Future Group's Pantaloon Retail India unit in a INR16bn (US$305m) deal.
The agreement, which includes Pantaloon's 86 fashion and factory outlet stores across India, will enable ABNL to expand its branded apparel business and the money raised will be used by Pantaloon Retail to reduce its debts.
"The proposed acquisition is in line with our strategic intent to create the largest integrated branded fashion player in the country," Kumar Mangalam Birla, chairman of Aditya Birla group said in a statement.
He added: "This acquisition will catapult ABNL to pole position in the branded fashion space...with a pan-India presence."
ABNL will have a minimum 50.01% stake in a new company being set up to run the Pantaloons business. The current management team will also remain in place.
ABNL's Madura Fashion & Lifestyle unit booked sales of INR21.45bn in 2011, and includes brands such as Louis Philippe, Van Heusen, Allen Solly and Peter England. But its 1.6m square feet of selling space is dwarfed by Pantaloons' 2.05m.
Pantaloons, meanwhile, is expected to post a turnover of around INR17bn in its financial year which ends in June.
"This marks a unique coming together of brands and enterprise that will create significant value for customers, suppliers and all stakeholders," said Kishore Biyani, Future Group founder and CEO.
Pantaloon Retail India Ltd, which is part of the Future group, will continue to operate its Big Bazaar supermarkets and be renamed Future Retail India Ltd.
British Clothing brand Hackett London is set to enter India through a joint venture with Aditya Birla Nuvo-owned Madura Fashion & Lifestyle (MFL)....
India's Future Group has received board approval for the merger of its Future Value Retail and Pantaloon businesses. ...
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy....
India's largest retailer Pantaloon Retail has posted a 78.6% slump in fourth-quarter net profit as finance costs offset a rise in sales....
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis