UK: Adventurous adults boost lingerie market
The report shows consumers are displaying a greater willingness to experiment with more erotic lingerie styles
The UK market for lingerie, corsetry and hosiery has shown consistent growth in value over the past five years, according to new research, as the adult population excels in a more sexually liberated mass consciousness.
New report - Lingerie - by business intelligence provider Key Note, shows consumers are displaying a greater willingness to experiment with more erotic, and once niche unspoken of, lingerie styles, thanks in part to the Channel 4 'The Campaign for Real Sex' series, and the popularity of erotic novel trilogy 50 Shades of Grey.
Ann Summers and Agent Provocateur have seen their sales boosted as a result, while more practical and feminine lingerie retailer Marks & Spencer has collaborated with supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley to create a luxury, modern collection.
Fashion retailers are also creating their own trend-driven lingerie ranges, resulting in an over-crowding of surplus lingerie retailers and brands on the market.
Nonetheless, the report notes: "The capability to constantly create new products and innovations in terms of the practical intimate items of sports bras, maternity bras and so on ensures that there will always be room for more styles and items to meet the marketplace in the coming years, with Key Note predicting that this successful market will continue to thrive with ongoing growth for the next five years."
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the risk to Lesotho's textile and clothing production if the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) is not renewed, delays to a major...
Fashion retailer H&M is to impose stricter requirements on the use of short-term, fixed duration contracts for workers at its supplier factories after acknowledging their use restricts worker rights....
Hong Kong based sourcing specialist William E Connor & Associates has been named as one of world's most ethical companies for the fourth year in a row....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis