UK: Adventurous adults boost lingerie market
The report shows consumers are displaying a greater willingness to experiment with more erotic lingerie styles
The UK market for lingerie, corsetry and hosiery has shown consistent growth in value over the past five years, according to new research, as the adult population excels in a more sexually liberated mass consciousness.
New report - Lingerie - by business intelligence provider Key Note, shows consumers are displaying a greater willingness to experiment with more erotic, and once niche unspoken of, lingerie styles, thanks in part to the Channel 4 'The Campaign for Real Sex' series, and the popularity of erotic novel trilogy 50 Shades of Grey.
Ann Summers and Agent Provocateur have seen their sales boosted as a result, while more practical and feminine lingerie retailer Marks & Spencer has collaborated with supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley to create a luxury, modern collection.
Fashion retailers are also creating their own trend-driven lingerie ranges, resulting in an over-crowding of surplus lingerie retailers and brands on the market.
Nonetheless, the report notes: "The capability to constantly create new products and innovations in terms of the practical intimate items of sports bras, maternity bras and so on ensures that there will always be room for more styles and items to meet the marketplace in the coming years, with Key Note predicting that this successful market will continue to thrive with ongoing growth for the next five years."
Having posted strong growth from its sales of packaged food throughout the economic recession, Marks & Spencer’s performance towards the end of the review period was hampered by the poor performance o...
Internet retailing continued to expand rapidly in the UK in 2013 as sales made from tablets and smartphones drove much of this growth. Multichannel retailing has become a central plank of the overall ...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the risk to Lesotho's textile and clothing production if the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) is not renewed, delays to a major...
A question mark continues to hang over Marks & Spencer's clothing performance after the retailer recorded its ninth consecutive quarterly decline in like-for-like general merchandise sales - despite t...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019