UK: Advert boost for Debenhams
A £10m advertising campaign is producing benefits for sales at department store chain Debenhams, the group has said. Following the launch in October of its first TV commercials for 10 years, like-for-like sales, excluding new store space, are now running more than 1.8% above last year. Sales levels had been down 3.4% last autumn. "Initial customer feedback has been very encouraging", said finance director Matthew Roberts. Due to the lateness of Easter and the mid season sale, Debenhams declined to give exact like-for-like sales figures for the period since the half-year. However, Mr Roberts said the underlying growth trend was above the 1.8% figure seen in January and February. The group also reported that pre-tax profits fell to £73.8m in the six months to the end of February from £79.4m in the previous year. Mr Roberts said Debenhams was succeeding in a harsh market place. "We are doing well but the high street is having quite a tough time," he said. "I think things will remain competitive - we expect to see growth but pricing will continue to be important," he added. Debenhams shares rose 7.7% or 12p to 168p in early trading. Analysts said the performance was a good one in the current retail environment
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Where next for retailers in a saturated market?
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Inventory risk shifts in favour of retailers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020