US: Aeropostale "considering private equity deal"
Aeropostale faces pressure from investors to sell
Struggling teen apparel retailer Aeropostale is understood to be considering raising capital from private equity firms as it mulls ways to shore up its balance sheet.
According to Reuters, the company is working with investment bank Barclays to study its options, four people familiar with the matter told the publication.
If Aeropostale does so, it may opt for a private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction of "a few hundred million dollars", Reuters reported. Such a transaction is often used by small and mid-cap companies that may have difficulty raising capital in public markets.
No decision has yet been made, however, and Aeropostale is "considering other options that may include a sale of the entire company", sources are understood to have said.
The company faces pressure from investors, including Crescendo Partners, to sell the company. Last month, the firm was reported to have contacted at least two private equity firms about a possible sale.
In December it swung to a third-quarter loss of US$25.6m and reported a 15% decline in comparable sales.
Aeropostale did not return a request for comment at the time of going to press.
Synopsis Canadean's "Aeropostale, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
Foreign brands of adult apparel are the ones most actively introduced in previous years. However, in 2013, there was an increase in the ventures of local companies to bring international childrenswear...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide