US: Aeropostale "considering private equity deal"
Aeropostale faces pressure from investors to sell
Struggling teen apparel retailer Aeropostale is understood to be considering raising capital from private equity firms as it mulls ways to shore up its balance sheet.
According to Reuters, the company is working with investment bank Barclays to study its options, four people familiar with the matter told the publication.
If Aeropostale does so, it may opt for a private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction of "a few hundred million dollars", Reuters reported. Such a transaction is often used by small and mid-cap companies that may have difficulty raising capital in public markets.
No decision has yet been made, however, and Aeropostale is "considering other options that may include a sale of the entire company", sources are understood to have said.
The company faces pressure from investors, including Crescendo Partners, to sell the company. Last month, the firm was reported to have contacted at least two private equity firms about a possible sale.
In December it swung to a third-quarter loss of US$25.6m and reported a 15% decline in comparable sales.
Aeropostale did not return a request for comment at the time of going to press.
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Colombia faces challenges in fashion export drive
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation