US: Aeropostale Q3 profit up on rising sales, margins
- Net income rose 4.1% to $24.95m
- Sales increased 2% to $605.9m
- Comparable sales declined 1%
US clothing retailer Aeropostale said third quarter earnings were slightly ahead of guidance as sales rose and margins improved.
The company recorded a 4.1% rise in net income to reach US$24.95m over the quarter ended 27 October, up from $24.1m in the same period last year.
Net sales increased 2% to $605.9m, from $596.5m the year before. Comparable sales declined 1% over the period, against a 7% decline recorded last year.
Gross margin improved to 27.9% of sales from 27.1% last year.
"For the third quarter, we achieved net earnings slightly ahead of our previously issued guidance," said CEO Thomas Johnson.
"Although we experienced pressure on our women's core basics business, she responded positively to our fashion offering. In addition, our men's and accessories businesses performed well."
Teen apparel retailer Aeropostale has swung to a second-quarter loss, after it was forced to increase promotions to clear inventory due to unseasonably cool weather....
Aeropostale has failed in a bid to dismiss a lawsuit accusing the US retailer of defrauding shareholders in 2011 by hiding problems with excess inventory and weak sales, which hit its share price....
Casual apparel retailer Aeropostale Inc has ended the year with "disappointing" fourth-quarter and full-year results, after being hit by impairment charges and falling same-store sales....
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Over 8,000 children in Delhi garment industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015