COTE D'IVOIRE: Agriculture Ministry launches cotton support project
The Cote D'Ivoire Government is hoping to consolidate the recovery of the cotton sector through the project
The Ivory Coast's Ministry of Agriculture has launched a project to support and help develop the country's cotton sector.
The SCP project, costing around XOF43.9bn (US$91.1m) will target the regions of Poro, Gbeke, Bagoue of Hambol, and Gontougo. The investment aims to improve market access and productivity, and provide support for cooperatives and inter-branch organisations.
"Ultimately, it is to develop financing mechanisms to facilitate farmers' access to technologies and more efficient extension services, and the use of animal traction for cotton development provision of 20,000 cattle," said Agriculture Minister Mamadou Sangafowa.
The Minister said he is hoping to consolidate the recovery of the cotton sector through the project with a target of increasing production from 300,000 tonnes to 440,000 tonnes this year.
The SCP is a variation on the country's National Agricultural Investment Programme (NAIP). It follows funding agreements signed between the Ivorian Government and World Bank, and convention resource allocation between the Ivorian authorities and the French Development Agency (AFD).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation