COTE D'IVOIRE: Agriculture Ministry launches cotton support project
The Cote D'Ivoire Government is hoping to consolidate the recovery of the cotton sector through the project
The Ivory Coast's Ministry of Agriculture has launched a project to support and help develop the country's cotton sector.
The SCP project, costing around XOF43.9bn (US$91.1m) will target the regions of Poro, Gbeke, Bagoue of Hambol, and Gontougo. The investment aims to improve market access and productivity, and provide support for cooperatives and inter-branch organisations.
"Ultimately, it is to develop financing mechanisms to facilitate farmers' access to technologies and more efficient extension services, and the use of animal traction for cotton development provision of 20,000 cattle," said Agriculture Minister Mamadou Sangafowa.
The Minister said he is hoping to consolidate the recovery of the cotton sector through the project with a target of increasing production from 300,000 tonnes to 440,000 tonnes this year.
The SCP is a variation on the country's National Agricultural Investment Programme (NAIP). It follows funding agreements signed between the Ivorian Government and World Bank, and convention resource allocation between the Ivorian authorities and the French Development Agency (AFD).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Amazon Prime Day a big win for apparel
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis