BANGLADESH: Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
Inspections have been completed on more than half of the nearly 700 Bangladesh factories used by members of the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety - which is also pledging to help pay the wages for workers at those factories closed for renovation.
The collective, which includes 26 companies such as The Children’s Place, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Gap and Fruit of the Loom, says workers at garment units that need to shut down while work is carried out will receive payment to cover two months' salaries. The Alliance will bear half of the cost while the factory owners will cover the rest.
The disclosure came as the group revealed it has now trained more than 400,000 factory managers and workers, with plans to swell that number to more than 1m by July.
The training programme drawn up in the wake of the Rana Plaza disaster includes equipping management, worker representatives and union members with the skills and tools necessary to better educate the larger workforce on fire and safety issues.
Work is also under way to set up a remediation process offering adequate oversight and advanced technical support to make sure that factories in Bangladesh can achieve the necessary upgrades and improvements.
The Alliance is also set to roll out a worker helpline to 50 factories this month, expanding to 150 by the end of the year.
“As we reflect back on the terrible tragedy that occurred at Rana Plaza last year, we are reminded of what is at stake,” said Ellen Tauscher, independent chair of the Alliance and a former US Congresswoman.
“We remain steadfast in our promise to bring change to the women and men whose livelihood depends on the safety of these factories.”
Nordstrom, Inc. (Nordstrom) is a specialty fashion retail company that offers a broad range of fashion apparels, shoes, cosmetics, accessories, among others. The company offers a wide selection of bra...
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020