BANGLADESH: Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
Inspections have been completed on more than half of the nearly 700 Bangladesh factories used by members of the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety - which is also pledging to help pay the wages for workers at those factories closed for renovation.
The collective, which includes 26 companies such as The Children’s Place, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Gap and Fruit of the Loom, says workers at garment units that need to shut down while work is carried out will receive payment to cover two months' salaries. The Alliance will bear half of the cost while the factory owners will cover the rest.
The disclosure came as the group revealed it has now trained more than 400,000 factory managers and workers, with plans to swell that number to more than 1m by July.
The training programme drawn up in the wake of the Rana Plaza disaster includes equipping management, worker representatives and union members with the skills and tools necessary to better educate the larger workforce on fire and safety issues.
Work is also under way to set up a remediation process offering adequate oversight and advanced technical support to make sure that factories in Bangladesh can achieve the necessary upgrades and improvements.
The Alliance is also set to roll out a worker helpline to 50 factories this month, expanding to 150 by the end of the year.
“As we reflect back on the terrible tragedy that occurred at Rana Plaza last year, we are reminded of what is at stake,” said Ellen Tauscher, independent chair of the Alliance and a former US Congresswoman.
“We remain steadfast in our promise to bring change to the women and men whose livelihood depends on the safety of these factories.”
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
Introduction The G8 Womenswear industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The guide also contains ...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015