MEXICO: Alpek To Build New Polyester Plant
Alpek, the Mexican-based global petrochemical company, is to construct a new polyester fibre plant in Altamira, Tamaulipas, Mexico at the end of the year, the company announced on Wednesday. The new factory will produce approximately 165,000 metric tons of polyester fibre per year, and is expected to require an investment of $130m. It is expected to begin production by the end of 2001. The plant is also expected to produce 70,000 metric tons of nylon textile, which would represent the largest output of the product by any single plant in the Western hemisphere, the company claimed.Alpek is owned by Alfa, the Mexican conglomerate. A big player in synthetic fibres, petrochemicals, steel, food, auto components, and telecommunications, Alfa holds five business groups including Alpek. ALFA has alliances with more than 20 companies in the US, Europe, and Mexico and is owned by the Garza Sada family of Monterrey.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar