MEXICO: Alpek To Build New Polyester Plant
Alpek, the Mexican-based global petrochemical company, is to construct a new polyester fibre plant in Altamira, Tamaulipas, Mexico at the end of the year, the company announced on Wednesday. The new factory will produce approximately 165,000 metric tons of polyester fibre per year, and is expected to require an investment of $130m. It is expected to begin production by the end of 2001. The plant is also expected to produce 70,000 metric tons of nylon textile, which would represent the largest output of the product by any single plant in the Western hemisphere, the company claimed.Alpek is owned by Alfa, the Mexican conglomerate. A big player in synthetic fibres, petrochemicals, steel, food, auto components, and telecommunications, Alfa holds five business groups including Alpek. ALFA has alliances with more than 20 companies in the US, Europe, and Mexico and is owned by the Garza Sada family of Monterrey.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022