US: American Apparel in drive for Cleaner Cotton
In an effort to expand its sustainable practices, T-shirt and casualwear brand American Apparel Inc has just purchased 30,000 pounds of Cleaner Cotton(TM) from California's Central Valley.
This cotton is farmed using fewer chemicals than conventional cotton cultivation, and also avoids the use of genetically modified seeds.
The Cleaner Cotton Campaign, which is led by The Sustainable Cotton Project, aims to keep toxins out of the soil, air and water by using biological techniques instead.
Erika Martinez, head of organic programs at American Apparel, said: "This unique program not only promotes the reduction of chemical use but it also assists farmers through the cultivation process."
Last year, there 2,000 acres of Cleaner Cotton were grown, preventing 7,000 pounds of chemicals from entering the environment according to the California Environmental Protection Agency.
American Apparel is a vertically integrated manufacturer, distributor and retailer of T-shirts and related products with nearly 200 stores in 15 countries.
All clothes are cut and sewn at its 800,000 sq ft facility in downtown Los Angeles.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Scientists are increasingly looking at the extent to which altering the genetic components of a range of products used in textiles can influence the clothes they’re made into. But while Genetically mo...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' July 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
American Apparel is to speed up its retail expansion programme after posting a 42% increase in second quarter profits....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar