US: American Apparel in jeopardy after Q2 loss
- Q2 loss of US$14.7m, versus profit of $4.5m
- Sales down 2.5% to $132.7m
- Uncertainty remains over future of company
American Apparel faces more worries after sliding to a Q2 loss
Doubts remain over the future of beleaguered retailer American Apparel after the company slid to another loss in the second quarter.
The delayed announcement of the US business’s results for the three months to 30 June offered little respite for the company, which has been fighting mounting debts in recent months.
American Apparel said losses were likely to continue “through at least the third quarter”, making it probable that it would breach its credit agreement with Lion Capital from 31 January next year.
That, in turn, would lead to a default under the company’s BofA credit agreement, although American Apparel said it anticipated working to amend the agreements with lenders before any breach could take place.
However, it admitted that a failure to do so would mean the company having to find alternative sources of funding.
“These factors, among others, raise substantial doubt that the company will be able to continue as a going concern,” said American Apparel.
Company management is currently executing a turnaround plan, including cutting production at its manufacturing facilities, streamlining logistics, renegotiating property leases including possible store closures and cutting retail staff.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- Finding value in fashion retail reverse logistics
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective