US: American Woolen Co acquires Stafford Springs mill
The American Woolen Company is in the process of acquiring the assets of the Stafford Springs wool mill, which closed production late last year.
Through the acquisition, American Woolen said it will reintroduce luxury worsted and woollen textile manufacturing to the US.
The company will be supported by a $300,000 loan and a $100,000 grant by the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development to help cover building acquisition costs.
American Woolen said it will hire many of the mill's former employees as it ramps up production.
"This project wouldn't have happened without the cooperation and support from Governor Malloy and his economic development team," said Jacob Harrison Long, CEO of American Woolen Company.
American Woolen Company closed last Wednesday to transfer the equipment and property, owned by The Warren Corp, which ended production at the factory at the end of last year.
Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
This just-style report takes a look at this rather forgotten, yet unique textile fibre and examines the place of wool fibre in the textile value chain. It addresses its decline in popularity, the reas...read more
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020