US: American Woolen Co acquires Stafford Springs mill
The American Woolen Company is in the process of acquiring the assets of the Stafford Springs wool mill, which closed production late last year.
Through the acquisition, American Woolen said it will reintroduce luxury worsted and woollen textile manufacturing to the US.
The company will be supported by a $300,000 loan and a $100,000 grant by the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development to help cover building acquisition costs.
American Woolen said it will hire many of the mill's former employees as it ramps up production.
"This project wouldn't have happened without the cooperation and support from Governor Malloy and his economic development team," said Jacob Harrison Long, CEO of American Woolen Company.
American Woolen Company closed last Wednesday to transfer the equipment and property, owned by The Warren Corp, which ended production at the factory at the end of last year.
Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
This just-style report takes a look at this rather forgotten, yet unique textile fibre and examines the place of wool fibre in the textile value chain. It addresses its decline in popularity, the reas...read more
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Brexit to halt deflation in UK clothing sector
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Nike faces domestic and future order headwinds
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape