USA: Ames to Celebrate the Grand Opening of New Wilmington Location On July 20
Ames Department Stores, Inc. announced today it will celebrate the Grand Opening of the first urban Ames location in Delaware, at Miller Road Commons in Wilmington, on July 20, 2000. The company will also open five additional Ames sites on July 20 - three in New York and two new locations in Pennsylvania - to bring the chain's total store count to 467. After more than 20 years of successfully serving Delaware's suburban and resort communities at New Castle, Seaford, Millsboro, and Rehoboth Beach, Ames is opening its first urban Delaware site at Miller Road Commons in Wilmington. The 65,000 square foot store is approximately 50% larger than other Ames locations in the state and will employ 133. "Expanding to the Wilmington market was an easy decision," said Joseph R. Ettore, chairman and chief executive officer for Ames. "Where other retailers have abandoned the urban shopper, Ames has found a loyal and responsive customer base. We are confident our A+ customer service, great bargains and easy-to-shop store layout will be a good match to the needs of Wilmington's shoppers." Ames senior executives, store associates and local dignitaries kick-off the Grand Opening Celebrations on Thursday, July 20, 2000 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9:00 a.m. Special Grand Opening events include a live Dixie-land Band, product demonstrations, costumed characters, giveaways and sweepstakes. These special events will continue through Saturday, July 22, 2000. With 467 stores located in 19 states and the District of Columbia, Ames is the nation's largest regional, full-line discount retailer with annual sales over $4 billion. Ames offers a broad range of merchandise categories including family apparel, housewares, domestics, electronics, ready-to-assemble and patio furniture, jewelry, craft and pet supplies, health and beauty care items, stationery, sporting goods, toys, seasonal products and more.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022