US: Analysts upbeat on American Eagle Q2
- Q2 earnings down to US$5.8m
- Gross margin narrows to 33.4%
- Sales decline 2%
American Eagle said the results "do not reflect our potential"
American Eagle Outfitters has revealed what analysts believe is a "good report in a difficult environment".
In the three months ended 2 August, earnings amounted to US$5.8m. This compared to earnings of $19.6m in the year ago period. The company had projected break-even results.
Gross margin narrowed to 33.4% from 33.8%. This reflected the de-leverage of buying, occupancy and warehousing costs on negative comparable sales, which was largely offset by favourability in merchandise and design costs.
Total net revenue declined 2% to $711m from $727m last year, while revenue from new store growth nearly offset the decline in comparable sales, which were down 7%.
Jay Schottenstein, interim CEO, said: "Although the second quarter results were slightly ahead of our expectations, they do not reflect our potential. We did, however make significant progress on our priorities to build a sustainable path to higher profitability."
Based on a mid single-digit decline in comparable sales, the company expects third quarter EPS to be around $0.17 to $0.19 compared to adjusted earnings of $0.19 per diluted share last year. The guidance excludes potential asset impairment and restructuring charges.
FBR & Co analyst Susan Anderson, noted: "Overall we view this as a good report in a difficult environment, which we believe will be received by investors. In addition to Aeropostale's positive pre-announcement, we think this could be further evidence that teen retailing could be beginning to stabilise."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Lucky Brand Dungarees has become the latest company to reach a settlement and license agreement with laser technology firm RevoLaze over an abrasion technology for denim garments....
US casual apparel retailer Aeropostale has signed licensing deals with textile and apparel business Arvind, and PT Mitra Adiperkasa, that will see it expand in Asia, opening stores in India and Indone...
Teen apparel retailer Aeropostale Inc is parting company with executive vice president Emilia Fabricant - in a move described by one analyst as "not surprising."...
American Eagle Outfitters has settled an investigation through the US International Trade Commission (ITC) over patent infringement regarding certain laser abraded denim garments....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective