US: Ann cuts full-year outlook on Hurricane Sandy
US women's wear retailer Ann Inc has lowered its full-year earnings guidance after Hurricane Sandy and increased promotions at its Loft division resulted in lower-than-expected fourth-quarter sales.
President and CEO Kay Krill said: "In terms of the fourth quarter, the drivers of the softer-than-expected results were twofold: First, Ann Inc has a high concentration of sales in the Northeast region, which were negatively impacted by the lingering effects of Hurricane Sandy.
"In addition, Loft's fourth-quarter investment in bright colours did not resonate with our clients this holiday season. As a result, promotions at Loft ramped up in the back half of the quarter, which pressured margins but effectively cleared through Holiday inventories in order to enter the spring season in a healthy position."
The company expects full-year net sales to be US$2.38bn against earlier guidance of $2.40bn, while fourth-quarter sales are forecast to be $608m, compared to its previously forecast $625m.
"Looking ahead, we have entered the first quarter with clean inventories at both brands, and we are well positioned to deliver profitable growth in fiscal 2013. We remain focused on continuing the successful roll-out of our strategic initiatives and remain confident that these will drive further long-term growth," Krill added.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020