US: Ann Inc Q3 profit up on rising sales and margins
- Net income increased 26% to $40.7m
- Sales grew 8.6% to $612.5m
- Comparable sales rose 5.5%
US clothing retailer Ann Inc saw third quarter net profit rise on higher sales and rising gross margins.
The company said net income rose 26% to reach US$40.7m over the quarter ended 27 October, up from $32.2m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales grew 8.6% to $612.5m over the quarter, with comparable sales rising 5.5%. Net sales across the Ann Taylor brand grew 6.4% to reach $244.6m, as comparable sales increased 4.3%. Loft sales grew 10% to $368m, while comparable sales increased 6.2%.
Gross margin improved to 57.9% from 57.5% in the same period of the prior year, which the company attributed to favourable customer response to its products and lower promotional activity.
The company also raised its full year forecasts, expecting sales to reach US$2.395bn, up from $2.385bn previously.
"At the Ann Taylor brand, performance accelerated significantly from the first quarter, reflecting stronger sales and profitability, including positive comps in the Ann Taylor stores channel and continued profitable growth in the e-commerce and factory outlet channels," said president and CEO Kay Krill.
"Loft also delivered excellent sales and profitability results, including strong margin and continued solid comp growth on top of last year's double-digit increase.
"Clearly, our performance at both brands demonstrated strong product acceptance driven by the successful delivery of compelling fashion, excellent quality, outstanding value and an engaging shopping experience, in store and online."
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020