US: Ann Inc Q3 profit up on rising sales and margins
- Net income increased 26% to $40.7m
- Sales grew 8.6% to $612.5m
- Comparable sales rose 5.5%
US clothing retailer Ann Inc saw third quarter net profit rise on higher sales and rising gross margins.
The company said net income rose 26% to reach US$40.7m over the quarter ended 27 October, up from $32.2m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales grew 8.6% to $612.5m over the quarter, with comparable sales rising 5.5%. Net sales across the Ann Taylor brand grew 6.4% to reach $244.6m, as comparable sales increased 4.3%. Loft sales grew 10% to $368m, while comparable sales increased 6.2%.
Gross margin improved to 57.9% from 57.5% in the same period of the prior year, which the company attributed to favourable customer response to its products and lower promotional activity.
The company also raised its full year forecasts, expecting sales to reach US$2.395bn, up from $2.385bn previously.
"At the Ann Taylor brand, performance accelerated significantly from the first quarter, reflecting stronger sales and profitability, including positive comps in the Ann Taylor stores channel and continued profitable growth in the e-commerce and factory outlet channels," said president and CEO Kay Krill.
"Loft also delivered excellent sales and profitability results, including strong margin and continued solid comp growth on top of last year's double-digit increase.
"Clearly, our performance at both brands demonstrated strong product acceptance driven by the successful delivery of compelling fashion, excellent quality, outstanding value and an engaging shopping experience, in store and online."
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- Unravelling cotton's supply and demand challenges
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras