SRI LANKA: Annual festival to showcase design edge
This year's Sri Lanka Design Festival (SLDF) will take place under the theme of Design Difference, as part of an industry strategy to add more value to its apparel production.
Sri Lanka's Joint Apparel Association Forum (JAAF) is setting out to make the function of the country's apparel industry go beyond that of being simply a manufacturer.
Linda Speldewinde, managing director of AOD and the founder of SLDF, said: “We feel Sri Lanka is ready to make its own unique contribution to the world of fashion and design and we want Sri Lanka Design Festival to facilitate Sri Lanka’s debut to the world of design.”
In recently held launches in London, Italy and Paris, Speldewinde stressed SLDF's vision of taking Sri Lanka forward as a major hub for creative industries.
SLDF 2010 will take place from 11-17 November 2010 at the Mount Lavinia Hotel, near Colombo. Sri Lanka's Academy of Design (AOD) is organising the event, which includes workshops, panel discussions and demonstrations, in partnership with the country's Export Development Board.
Deshamanya Mahesh Amalean, chairman of MAS Holdings, the main sponsor for SLDF 2010, said: "We are delighted to support Sri Lanka Design Festival to develop and promote design talent in Sri Lanka a well as the country's apparel industry. Design is the future of Sri Lankan creative industry and MAS is proud to lend a hand to develop it.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts