EUROPE: Anti-dumping measures should end, says FTA
The European Commission should end anti-dumping measures against footwear imported from China and Vietnam, according to the Foreign Trade Association (FTA).
The pressure group said it had learned that the commission was looking to offer a compromise proposal at the conclusion of its review into the measures, which began in 2005.
"Owing to the non-transparent and secretive nature of anti-dumping investigations, details of this compromise are unclear," said FTA legal advisor Stuart Newman.
"However, it now looks more certain that the commission is intending to prolong the measures, rather than do the logical thing and terminate."
The FTA said reports indicated that the majority of EU Member States opposed a continuation of the measures, but added that it was worried that more might be won over in favour of an extension if the measures were prolonged for an extra year or two, rather than the potential five years.
"No prolongation, in whatever format the commission may come up with, is acceptable for European retailers and importers," said FTA secretary general Jan Eggert.
"Our members have been adversely affected by these unnecessary measures and I trust that Member States will oppose any prolongation when they are called upon to vote."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The global importance of cotton trade has been underlined by a subsidies spat between the US and Brazil today (9 March). ...
Vietnamese exports to the UK have been hit hard by the global economic turmoil during 2009, but footwear continued to be the leading category....
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy....
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts