US: Apparel and footwear sales boost Hibbett Sports Q1
Strong demand for its core footwear and brand-focused apparel helped sporting goods retailer Hibbett Sports to book an 8.4% increase in first-quarter profit.
Net income reached US$28.4m for the 13 weeks to 3 May, compared to $26.2m in the same period last year. Sales increased 9.1% to $261.9m from $240m a year ago, and comparable store sales rose 4.1%.
The company opened a record number of 16 new stores, expanded 4 high performing ones, and closed 4 underperforming stores, bringing its total to 939.
"We were pleased with sales during the first quarter, which were driven by strong demand in our core footwear and brand focused apparel businesses," said president and CEO Jeff Rosenthal.
The company opened a record number of 16 new stores, expanded 4 high performing ones, and closed 4 underperforming stores, bringing its total to 939. It also fully converted operations to our new wholesale and logistics facility.
"Looking forward, the continued success of new stores and the efficiencies of our new wholesale and logistics facility will be a catalyst for sustained, profitable growth for the company," Rosenthal added.
For fiscal 2015, Hibbett Sports expects earnings per share to be $2.78-2.98, comparable store sales to increase in the low-to-mid single digit range, and open around 75-80 new stores.
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)