US: Apparel and footwear sales boost Hibbett Sports Q1
Strong demand for its core footwear and brand-focused apparel helped sporting goods retailer Hibbett Sports to book an 8.4% increase in first-quarter profit.
Net income reached US$28.4m for the 13 weeks to 3 May, compared to $26.2m in the same period last year. Sales increased 9.1% to $261.9m from $240m a year ago, and comparable store sales rose 4.1%.
The company opened a record number of 16 new stores, expanded 4 high performing ones, and closed 4 underperforming stores, bringing its total to 939.
"We were pleased with sales during the first quarter, which were driven by strong demand in our core footwear and brand focused apparel businesses," said president and CEO Jeff Rosenthal.
The company opened a record number of 16 new stores, expanded 4 high performing ones, and closed 4 underperforming stores, bringing its total to 939. It also fully converted operations to our new wholesale and logistics facility.
"Looking forward, the continued success of new stores and the efficiencies of our new wholesale and logistics facility will be a catalyst for sustained, profitable growth for the company," Rosenthal added.
For fiscal 2015, Hibbett Sports expects earnings per share to be $2.78-2.98, comparable store sales to increase in the low-to-mid single digit range, and open around 75-80 new stores.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis