INDIA: Apparel boosts Aditya Birla Nuvo Q2
- Q2 EBITDA up 25% to INR7.79bn
- Revenue rises 18% to INR53.42bn
- Apparel division helps growth
Indian conglomerate Aditya Birla Nuvo posted strong increases in second quarter earnings and revenues, helped in part by growth in the company’s apparel division.
The company’s Madura Fashion & Lifestyle business recorded sales of INR580m (US$11.8m), up 28%, in the three months to 30 September, driven by widespread sales growth for its Louis Philippe, Van Heusen, Allen Solly and Peter England brands.
Meanwhile, the company’s manufacturing division reported revenues up 25% to INR14.69bn, thanks to higher linen fabric volumes, higher agri-products trading and the passing on of a rise in production costs for carbon black, rayon, textiles and agri-business.
However, EBITDA fell 7% to INR1.9bn, impacted by lower volumes and a rise in production costs, straining profitability for the carbon black and insulators businesses.
“Aditya Birla Nuvo has strengthened its leadership position in financial services, telecom and fashion and lifestyle businesses,” said company managing director Dr Rakesh Jain.
“It has posted strong earnings even amidst the challenges of prevailing macro-economic environment that affected few businesses.”
Top stories on just-style last week included the numbers of retailers collapsing into administration increased by 15%, JCPenney cutting 600 jobs at its headquarters and 48 apparel brands and retailers...
One of the largest global apparel companies with brands including Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow and Bass, PVH Corp is to evaluate the use of the new Crailar fibre in its dress ...
Apparel maker PVH Corp today (21 March) revealed plans to commit $1m to improving conditions in Bangladesh's garment factories - as an ABC News report prepares to criticise it for continuing to source...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: DSW, Chico's, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015