INDIA: Apparel exports increase 13% in H1
Indian apparel exports grew almost 13% during the six months from April to October, according to figures released this week.
The Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) said the cumulative value of exports was US$179.38bn during the period, up 6.3% from $168.71bn the year before.
During the month of October, meanwhile, apparel exports rose 13.5% year-on-year to reach US$27.27bn. In rupee terms, exports were up 31.8%.
Commenting on the increase, AEPC chairman Dr A Sakthivel said: "With the stabilisation of [the] rupee and structural changes in the competing markets, India's garment exports has significantly improved. Our performance is reflected in the stronger order book visibility for this season."
Tapping into new markets such as the Middle East, Latin America, Japan, Russia and Australia also helped drive growth, with brands including Gap, H&M, Tommy Hilfiger and Wal-Mart Stores diverting orders to India.
With the current growth rate, Sakthivel added, the country's apparel industry can achieve its export target of US$17bn set by the government.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is delaying a change in consumer regulations on Certificates of Compliance - and will instead reopen the comment period....
If confirmation was needed of the world's fastest-growing economies and the biggest opportunities for development, then look no further than the expansion plans of US trade offices, which are opening ...
The American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) has launched a new search function on its website, designed to better highlight members with domestic manufacturing capabilities....
Fashion retailer H&M is strengthening its relationship with Dutch NGO Solidaridad to help boost the sustainability of its entire production chain, from cotton fields and textile factories to the cloth...
International Textile Group has promoted its chief operating officer Kenneth Kunberger as the company's new president and CEO, following the retirement of Joseph Gorga at the end of this month....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022