BANGLADESH: Apparel exports soar 20% in H1
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 20% in the first-half of the current fiscal year despite ongoing political uncertainty, labour unrest and factory safety issues.
Apparel exports climbed to US$11.9bn in the six months from July to December, up from $9.95bn a year earlier - and exceeding targets set at $11.28bn.
Woven garment exports grew by 20.4% to $5.98bn during the period, from $4.97bn last year. Knitwear exports increased by 19.6% to $5.95bn from $4.97bn, according to statistics from the state-run Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
However, Mohammad Hatem, vice president of the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), told just-style that figures "do not reflect the real scenario of the country's apparel sector as these orders were placed covering period from May to July last year."
Instead, he said, it will take at least another three months "to see the real situation of the RMG sector."
The BKMEA leader also said the apparel sector is now in a critical situation following frequent blockades and shutdowns, enforced by opposition parties in the recent months in the run-up to this month's parliamentary election.
A senior official at the EPB told just-style that demand for Bangladeshi apparel products is still high in the global market due mainly to competitive prices.
The government has set an export target of $30.5bn for fiscal year 2014, which began on 1 July.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
Future forecasts and historic market data can improve market and strategic planning- Understand which channels and products will be the major winners and losers in the coming years. Know the share of...
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Swimwear and Beachwear both in Million Units and US$ Million by the following Product Categories: Men's Wear, Women's Wear, and Children's Wear. The rep...
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- US upgrade paves way for Malaysia in TPP
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Euratex raises rules of origin issues in TPP talks
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects