BANGLADESH: Apparel exports soar 20% in H1
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 20% in the first-half of the current fiscal year despite ongoing political uncertainty, labour unrest and factory safety issues.
Apparel exports climbed to US$11.9bn in the six months from July to December, up from $9.95bn a year earlier - and exceeding targets set at $11.28bn.
Woven garment exports grew by 20.4% to $5.98bn during the period, from $4.97bn last year. Knitwear exports increased by 19.6% to $5.95bn from $4.97bn, according to statistics from the state-run Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
However, Mohammad Hatem, vice president of the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), told just-style that figures "do not reflect the real scenario of the country's apparel sector as these orders were placed covering period from May to July last year."
Instead, he said, it will take at least another three months "to see the real situation of the RMG sector."
The BKMEA leader also said the apparel sector is now in a critical situation following frequent blockades and shutdowns, enforced by opposition parties in the recent months in the run-up to this month's parliamentary election.
A senior official at the EPB told just-style that demand for Bangladeshi apparel products is still high in the global market due mainly to competitive prices.
The government has set an export target of $30.5bn for fiscal year 2014, which began on 1 July.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
This report contains vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research. Key findings: Textile Mills, F...
N Brown Group's chief financial officer Dean Moore is to step down from the online and catalogue fashion retailer after 11 years in the role....
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020