BANGLADESH: Apparel exports soar 20% in H1
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 20% in the first-half of the current fiscal year despite ongoing political uncertainty, labour unrest and factory safety issues.
Apparel exports climbed to US$11.9bn in the six months from July to December, up from $9.95bn a year earlier - and exceeding targets set at $11.28bn.
Woven garment exports grew by 20.4% to $5.98bn during the period, from $4.97bn last year. Knitwear exports increased by 19.6% to $5.95bn from $4.97bn, according to statistics from the state-run Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
However, Mohammad Hatem, vice president of the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), told just-style that figures "do not reflect the real scenario of the country's apparel sector as these orders were placed covering period from May to July last year."
Instead, he said, it will take at least another three months "to see the real situation of the RMG sector."
The BKMEA leader also said the apparel sector is now in a critical situation following frequent blockades and shutdowns, enforced by opposition parties in the recent months in the run-up to this month's parliamentary election.
A senior official at the EPB told just-style that demand for Bangladeshi apparel products is still high in the global market due mainly to competitive prices.
The government has set an export target of $30.5bn for fiscal year 2014, which began on 1 July.
Kohl's Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offer...
After years of struggling sales, department store retailer JC Penney appointed Ron Johnson as its CEO in 2011, ushering in a new period of dramatic changes. With new management, a new logo, new spokes...
The Procter & Gamble Company (PG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compi...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include warmer weather a welcome boost for UK fashion sales, an analysis on why no one strategy fits all in apparel sourcing, and Tesco to open a chain of...
Kohl’s operates department stores that sell moderately-priced branded and private label apparel, home products, and housewares. Thanks to its size, the company is able to offer top brands and exclusiv...
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Tesco takes second stab at US market with F&F
- Tesco FY results: What the analysts say
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Bangladesh clothing exports to Japan to hit $1bn
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects