PAKISTAN: Apparel exports to the US up 11% in H1
Pakistan's apparel exports to the US in first half of 2007 increased by 11% in value and 5% in volume according to the latest figures released by the US Trade Department.
The official trade data shows Pakistan shipped US$690m worth of apparel products to the US during the interim period.
Pakistan's share in US apparel imports during the period has also improved to 2.01%, from 1.93% during the same period last year
The unit value of apparel from Pakistan was $2.05 per square metre compared with $1.94 per square metre during same period last year, reflecting a growth of 5.7%.
The growth in exports and market share can be attributed to Indian currency appreciation, which led to improved export orders for Pakistan.
A number of incentives is also being provided to apparel exporters in Pakistan, including a cash subsidy up to 6% of the FOB value of garments, and concessionary credits to the apparel and textile industry.
In addition, apparel exporters in Pakistan enjoy the lowest cotton and labour rates in the world. On the other hand, though, Pakistan lacks duty-free access to the US apparel market compared with many of its competitors.
By Ahmed Abdullah.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Pakistan's federal government invested PKR6.815bn (US$114m) in research and development (R&D) subsidies for the textile sector during the first six-months of the current fiscal year....
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Where next for retailers in a saturated market?
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Inventory risk shifts in favour of retailers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020