TURKEY: Apparel exports up 8.7% in first 11 months
Turkey's apparel exports rose by 8.7% in the first 11 months of last year, according to data just released.
The figures, from the Turkish Exporters Assembly (TIM), show total apparel exports rose to US$13.76bn in the period from January to November 2013, up from US$12.66bn the year before.
Knitted garments account for the lion's share of exports, rising 10.4% to US$8.5bn from US$7.7bn; while shipments of woven garments were up 6.2% to US$5.26bn from US4.96bn.
The data shows apparel exports currently account for 9.9% of Turkey's total exports, worth US$138.7bn during the 11-month period.
The figures also show that exports of cotton, cotton yarn and cotton textiles climbed 9.9% to US$1.79bn, while exports of man-made filaments surged 14.1% to US$1.55bn.
In terms of export markets, Germany remains the main destination for Turkish apparel exports, followed by the UK, Spain, France and the Netherlands.
The industry has set its sights on an ambitious export target of $80bn by 2023 - more than tripling its current performance in the space of a decade - with $60bn coming from apparel and $20bn from the textile industry.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015