INDIA: Apparel Fuels Indian Rayon Q2 Growth
Indian Rayon and Industries, part of the Aditya Birla Group, has recorded healthy growth thanks to strong performance by Madura Garments, its apparel division. Madura Garments was purchased from Madura Coats, a South Indian company of British origin. During Q2, ending September 30, sales rose 40 per cent to Rs392 and net profit rose 61 per cent. Viscose filament yarn production volumes grew, but average price realised fell to Rs145 per kg.The Aditya Birla group has two companies operating in the textile industry, Indian Rayon, and Gwalior Rayon (now renamed Grasim Industries). Grasim was in the news recently for its attempts to sell off its viscose staple fibre factory in Kerala, India.Madura Garments owns popular brands Peter England, Elements, San Frisco, Byford (knitwear), Louis Philippe, Van Heusen, Allen Solly. The premium garments market is estimated at Rs1200 crore, for which Madura owns 25 per cent, and the mid-priced market is estimated at Rs4800 crore, of which Madura claims to have 15 per cent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar