INDIA: Apparel Fuels Indian Rayon Q2 Growth
Indian Rayon and Industries, part of the Aditya Birla Group, has recorded healthy growth thanks to strong performance by Madura Garments, its apparel division. Madura Garments was purchased from Madura Coats, a South Indian company of British origin. During Q2, ending September 30, sales rose 40 per cent to Rs392 and net profit rose 61 per cent. Viscose filament yarn production volumes grew, but average price realised fell to Rs145 per kg.The Aditya Birla group has two companies operating in the textile industry, Indian Rayon, and Gwalior Rayon (now renamed Grasim Industries). Grasim was in the news recently for its attempts to sell off its viscose staple fibre factory in Kerala, India.Madura Garments owns popular brands Peter England, Elements, San Frisco, Byford (knitwear), Louis Philippe, Van Heusen, Allen Solly. The premium garments market is estimated at Rs1200 crore, for which Madura owns 25 per cent, and the mid-priced market is estimated at Rs4800 crore, of which Madura claims to have 15 per cent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022