US: Apparel industry backs Locke as top China diplomat
The nomination of Commerce Gary Locke as the next US ambassador to China has been welcomed by the trade group representing the US apparel and footwear industry.
“It is critical that the next US ambassador to China fully understand the sensitive dynamics that define our deepening relationship with China,” said Kevin Burke, president and CEO of the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA).
“In his work at the US Department of Commerce, Secretary Locke has played a leading role in US efforts towards overcoming the many economic and political challenges in our relationship, from concerns over counterfeiting and distribution rights to overarching issues on trade and currency.
“Resolving these challenges will lead to new opportunities for the US apparel and footwear industry in what is the world's fastest growing market.
“I look forward to Locke's swift confirmation to ensure that our current excellent diplomatic representation before the Chinese government continues uninterrupted.”
If the nomination is confirmed by the US Senate, Locke will replace current ambassador Jon Huntsman, who is stepping down at the end of April.
Locke, who has been US commerce secretary for the last two years, is the first Chinese-American to have held this post.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019