US: Apparel industry backs Locke as top China diplomat
The nomination of Commerce Gary Locke as the next US ambassador to China has been welcomed by the trade group representing the US apparel and footwear industry.
“It is critical that the next US ambassador to China fully understand the sensitive dynamics that define our deepening relationship with China,” said Kevin Burke, president and CEO of the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA).
“In his work at the US Department of Commerce, Secretary Locke has played a leading role in US efforts towards overcoming the many economic and political challenges in our relationship, from concerns over counterfeiting and distribution rights to overarching issues on trade and currency.
“Resolving these challenges will lead to new opportunities for the US apparel and footwear industry in what is the world's fastest growing market.
“I look forward to Locke's swift confirmation to ensure that our current excellent diplomatic representation before the Chinese government continues uninterrupted.”
If the nomination is confirmed by the US Senate, Locke will replace current ambassador Jon Huntsman, who is stepping down at the end of April.
Locke, who has been US commerce secretary for the last two years, is the first Chinese-American to have held this post.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report