US: Apparel maker FesslerUSA to close
Knit apparel maker FesslerUSA is winding down its operations after 112 years in business, in a move that will also lead to the loss of around 130 jobs.
The vertical full-package manufacturer, based near Orwigsburg in Pennsylvania, supplied private label fashion knitwear, specialising in quick-turn production of low and medium volume orders.
Ironically, it also epitomised the made-in-the-USA supply chain and domestic sourcing opportunities that are supposedly seeing an uptick in demand from apparel retailers and brands keen to increase the amount they source closer to home.
Local news reports say the company will be closed by the end of next week, and all of its machinery dismantled and sold.
Weak consumer spending, competition from China and the Far East, difficulties in securing credit, and a lack of interest from private investors and potential buyers are all blamed for the firm's demise.
"We appreciate all the efforts of our dedicated employees, the never-ending support from our community and friends, and the lasting relationships with our valued customers," a company notice said.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis