US: Apparel maker FesslerUSA to close
Knit apparel maker FesslerUSA is winding down its operations after 112 years in business, in a move that will also lead to the loss of around 130 jobs.
The vertical full-package manufacturer, based near Orwigsburg in Pennsylvania, supplied private label fashion knitwear, specialising in quick-turn production of low and medium volume orders.
Ironically, it also epitomised the made-in-the-USA supply chain and domestic sourcing opportunities that are supposedly seeing an uptick in demand from apparel retailers and brands keen to increase the amount they source closer to home.
Local news reports say the company will be closed by the end of next week, and all of its machinery dismantled and sold.
Weak consumer spending, competition from China and the Far East, difficulties in securing credit, and a lack of interest from private investors and potential buyers are all blamed for the firm's demise.
"We appreciate all the efforts of our dedicated employees, the never-ending support from our community and friends, and the lasting relationships with our valued customers," a company notice said.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020