US: Apparel organisations team up on sustainability
In a bid to boost collaboration on key sustainability initiatives across the US apparel and footwear industry, the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) and the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) are to work together more closely.
A formal agreement inked between the two organisations will focus on raising industry, regulator and legislator awareness of The Higg Index - which has been developed by SAC to measure sustainability and environmental impact across the supply chain.
"When it comes to tackling the serious issues of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and sustainability, the apparel and footwear industry must collaborate around the best practices, measurable benchmarks, and a shared vision," said AAFA president and CEO Kevin Burke.
He added that the memorandum of understanding (MOU) between the two groups "better enables the industry and our stakeholders to rally around a consistent approach to sustainability in a more productive and efficient manner."
"We welcome this formalised understanding with AAFA, as it will allow the Sustainable Apparel Coalition to better fulfil its mission of unifying sustainability standards within the apparel and footwear industry, and help make a greater impact in the environmental footprint across the entire value chain" added SAC executive director Jason Kibbey.
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015