US: Apparel organisations team up on sustainability
In a bid to boost collaboration on key sustainability initiatives across the US apparel and footwear industry, the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) and the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) are to work together more closely.
A formal agreement inked between the two organisations will focus on raising industry, regulator and legislator awareness of The Higg Index - which has been developed by SAC to measure sustainability and environmental impact across the supply chain.
"When it comes to tackling the serious issues of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and sustainability, the apparel and footwear industry must collaborate around the best practices, measurable benchmarks, and a shared vision," said AAFA president and CEO Kevin Burke.
He added that the memorandum of understanding (MOU) between the two groups "better enables the industry and our stakeholders to rally around a consistent approach to sustainability in a more productive and efficient manner."
"We welcome this formalised understanding with AAFA, as it will allow the Sustainable Apparel Coalition to better fulfil its mission of unifying sustainability standards within the apparel and footwear industry, and help make a greater impact in the environmental footprint across the entire value chain" added SAC executive director Jason Kibbey.
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- UK must act with urgency to cut Brexit uncertainty
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts